PDA

View Full Version : Cage What size cage do you think I need for 10 pigs?

Apseybaby
08-27-13, 07:30 am
I have 6 guinea pigs & planning to pick up 4 more! Thats my max! Im starting to build my c&c cage. But what size cage should I make? I would like to have them all together.Would it be better to build 2 jumbo size cages or 1 big cage?

jessieisabel
08-27-13, 07:33 am
Are they boars or sows? It may be hard to have them all together like that, I think I would stick with doing two seperate cages

Artista
08-27-13, 09:05 am
I have 6 guinea pigs & planning to pick up 4 more! Thats my max! Im starting to build my c&c cage. But what size cage should I make? I would like to have them all together.Would it be better to build 2 jumbo size cages or 1 big cage?

If the boars are neutered then you can put them all together, assuming they all get along ok together.. If not, you need to keep the sows separate from the boars or you will have more than your 10 max in no time!

ThePigAlchemist
08-27-13, 10:41 am
You might have trouble putting more than one neutered boar in with sows. I have heard of cases where people have had it work, but I believe it generally leads to fighting over the females.

aspecht
08-27-13, 10:49 am
I agree, it totally depends on the pigs themselves and their sexes!

xanima
08-27-13, 12:45 pm
I would build one cage, but in a way that I could seperate if necessary.
To the size: depends on how much you have really, of course it mustnīt get too small, but if you have the room- as big as you can! Especially should you try to introduce more than one neutred boar to females. (had two boars with 10 females for a while, and later two other with 4 females, really depends on their characters, wouldnīt try it with Amadeus, but some males (especially when really good socialized) will do perfectly fine with females and other males.

lissie
08-27-13, 01:19 pm
For 10 pigs, go as big and wide as you can. Are they all females? If they are boars, you'd be very lucky to have all of them get along.
If it were my cage, I'd go with either 3x10 or 4x10.

Apseybaby
08-27-13, 09:18 pm
For 10 pigs, go as big and wide as you can. Are they all females? If they are boars, you'd be very lucky to have all of them get along.
If it were my cage, I'd go with either 3x10 or 4x10.

I have 2 males. They are fixed. all of them get together. except for the 2 males. I have only put them in together once & I am afraid to do it again. Any tips in trying to get them two use to each other?

CavyMama
08-27-13, 09:34 pm
If they don't get along under normal circumstance, you aren't going to want to put them both in with all those females. Males can become uber competitive in the presence of females.

lissie
08-27-13, 09:48 pm
I have 2 males. They are fixed. all of them get together. except for the 2 males. I have only put them in together once & I am afraid to do it again. Any tips in trying to get them two use to each other?

Did you introduce in a neutral area? http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Normally you won't be able to keep 2 males with females, even if they are fixed. Maybe you could separate them into herds of 1 male + 4 females in two cages.