Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay or Readigrass

howardjonesuk
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
I would give them a little bit of each. :)

howardjonesuk

furikuricavy

Cavy Slave
What is ready grass?

howardjonesuk

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Pure chopped dried grass is exactly the same as hay except maybe not chopped. Hay is just grass that has been cut down and left to dry in the sun before being put into bales. So long as the strands of grass are long enough it would only depend on the drying process used. There are a few drying processes, like adding salt, which would not be as healthy. It's still probably healthier than moldy hay.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Good quality hay is free from mold, dust and dampness. The best place to get good quality hay is straight from a farm. Make sure the hay is mostly green, too.

As for the Readigrass, I would only give your pigs a handful each per day. I find it is very rich and can upset my pigs' tummies, so I tend to avoid it and give them fresh hay and fresh grass daily.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have always been told from the guinealynx'ers that readigrass should not replace regular grass hay. I second ccc's suggestion on finding a farm or a horse stable where you could buy a good bale of hay. Don't feed any hay that you even think is moldy as it will make the pigs very ill or possibly kill them. If it smells musty, don't feed it. You could use the readigrass for a couple of days until you find a good source of grass hay but not longer than that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.