Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size How big for four boars?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Before you start about the chart on the other page, I know about this already! LOL. What I'm asking is more specific. I have four guinea pigs, all of them are male (boars). I am hoping to be able to house them all in one large cage when we move (in a couple weeks!!!!) since their quarantine period will be up! My two rescued boys tend to squabble, but since I upgraded their cage, they've settled down a lot. I'm hoping that all four of them can get along. I know this is unlikely, but hopefully it works out. Either way I have to build a new cage! My two original boars are in a 2X5 and get along without issue, even going through puberty and all.

Now, with their being four boys, I know they are going to need some extra room over the minimum requirements. How large will I have to go? I was thinking doing a 3X6 if I can make enough room for it. Would this give them enough room? If I can't get them to get along would two, 2X5 cages be ok, or should I go even larger?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I have 3 boars in a 2x7. They get along in that space. I think more than the space is how well the 4 will like each other.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boars in a 2x7. They get along in that space. I think more than the space is how well the 4 will like each other.

Yeah, I realize they all have to get along and that is a BIG issue! But I'm just trying to figure out what size cage I will need if introductions went well to keep the peace. Hubby and I are trying to figure out everything we are going to need to move.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Before you start about the chart on the other page, I know about this already! LOL. What I'm asking is more specific. I have four guinea pigs, all of them are male (boars). I am hoping to be able to house them all in one large cage when we move (in a couple weeks!!!!) since their quarantine period will be up! My two rescued boys tend to squabble, but since I upgraded their cage, they've settled down a lot. I'm hoping that all four of them can get along. I know this is unlikely, but hopefully it works out. Either way I have to build a new cage! My two original boars are in a 2X5 and get along without issue, even going through puberty and all.

Now, with their being four boys, I know they are going to need some extra room over the minimum requirements. How large will I have to go? I was thinking doing a 3X6 if I can make enough room for it. Would this give them enough room? If I can't get them to get along would two, 2X5 cages be ok, or should I go even larger?

I had my four in a 3x6 at the beginning, no major fighting but a pain to get to them. I redid the cage into a 2x4 with a 2x4 L shape added to it. Many more arguments, I think if you can go as wide as possible and as long as possible, that would be better. Right now I have two pairs of boars and I know at least one cage is very happy. I sure the young guys would love to have the old guys to bully again. Two six month old with two 3 1/2 year old didn't cut the mustard.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
So I am still thinking that a 3X6 would be big enough for all of them, but willing to go to a 4X6 as long as I can get enough coroplast! Coroplast here is a little expensive ($22 for a 4X8 sheet) so will have to see what I can come up with for them!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would go as big as you can that way if you need to you can just divided the cage in half with grids if it doesn't work out.
a 4x6 would work wonderful! I love 3x4 for 2 boys! Plenty of room, and you could easily separate if there was an issue without doing the cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.