Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast They're eating the cage!

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
Finally got the chloroplast for my 3 pigs' cage. However, within about a day, they're reverted to chewing it, in one case they've made a hole right down to the floor!

Anything I can do, or do they just need to get it out of their system?

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Finally got the chloroplast for my 3 pigs' cage. However, within about a day, they're reverted to chewing it, in one case they've made a hole right down to the floor!

Anything I can do, or do they just need to get it out of their system?

I had the same problem at first, but a really great solution is to buy some spine bars (also called spine binders) which are for holding lots of paper together. You can just slip them onto the edges of the coroplast and they stop chewing it! You may have to cut some pieces down to size with a saw like I did because I bought A4 ones.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I wonder if crib rail protectors would work. Maybe just some thick tape over the edges? They may eat the tape too. Can your fleece go up and over the edges? Or make fleece pieces to drape over the sides.

Oh, I get what spine binders are, I think. Are they the length of paper? those would probably work well.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wonder if crib rail protectors would work. Maybe just some thick tape over the edges? They may eat the tape too. Can your fleece go up and over the edges? Or make fleece pieces to drape over the sides.

Oh, I get what spine binders are, I think. Are they the length of paper? those would probably work well.

They will eat the tape too. I have two sets of boars that are next to each other but in a L shape set up and to keep them from( the young guys) chewing the bars I added full grid size coroplast. Some how one got a start and chewed his own big window to see them, I took it out. I decided I would rather they chew the bars, which has lessened now, over them dying from eating so much plastic because I did not find it in the cage. I guess If I do it again, it's not the top and bottom I need to worry about, they started at the sides.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
LOLOLOL, I can't help but laugh that the one chewed a window in the coro. Smart piggies.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Forgot to say that covering my coro with fleece seemed to work for mine. Yours seem determined, so they may try tunneling or digging to get at the coro.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave

Yes, they are. They work really well for me. One of my fleeces can be tucked up over the sides which stops them from chewing it too.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Pigs can reach at least 12" high...my Rodney (adult tho age unknown) will reach to the top of my cage and that's 12" so having a 6" coro wall doesn't deter them at all. Mine jump over the 5" coro lip into the kitchen...

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I don't understand how your cavies can reach the edges of the coroplast if the walls are at least 6 in.? The only place mine can easily get to the coroplast is the ends of the ramp. In any event, here's a solution.

Go to Michael's Crafts and in the framing section, you will find "poster hangers".........pictured below. They come in packages and are 24" in length. They are a bit difficult to slide over the coroplast, but well worth the effort. One really needs to begin to slide the edging on the coro from one exposed end or the other. It is easier to do when initially building the cage, but if you can undo the ends of the coro "boxes", it is easier to slide them on.

This method absolutely has deterred my piggies from chewing!

LOL, mine stand up to chew at the coro that was there to block their view of the other two males, they are a lot taller than 6 inches standing up.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Pigs can reach at least 12" high...my Rodney (adult tho age unknown) will reach to the top of my cage and that's 12" so having a 6" coro wall doesn't deter them at all. Mine jump over the 5" coro lip into the kitchen...

Mine do too, if I lay the lap pad on top their cage that smells like the older guys, they stand there sniffing and rumbling. Its funny to watch too, the nose just barely gets there and they have fallen backwards too. They jump back up and stand smelling the pad again.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I believe the OP is having trouble with them chewing THROUGH the coroplast? Not on the edges of it. If that is the case, the only thing that may help is removing the coroplast or covering it with fleece and seeing what happens. I ended up having to cover the coroplast of my ramps with duct tape. They chewed on it for a minute, guess they didn't like the taste of the tape and gave up. Maybe try that? If it is just a divider between the two cages, maybe put it in between two grids, maybe the site of the coroplast being there will fool them into thinking that there are not grids there?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have thought of that, but mine have shown absolutely no interest in the sides of the cage. They have never put their paws on the side, even though I have tried to tempt them with a treat. I think they are intimidated by the grids. They *could* reach the sides, especially my athletic Aby. When he's motivated, he jumps from my husband's shoulder to mine during lap time.

In any event, the poster binding material will deter them from chewing on exposed edges. Mine were snacking on the exposed edges of the ramp until I covered them. :eek:hmy:

I removed the piece that I was using to cover the two grids( a total black out), I never thought they would start eating it from the side. So now the only coroplast is the 6 inches and they can see over it and chew on the bars, That may break a tooth but it would not kill them. It also seems like they are doing it less now anyways. Almost like a child, oh no, i can't see them i will go nuts to see them, Oh I can see them now, why bother.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I believe the OP is having trouble with them chewing THROUGH the coroplast? Not on the edges of it. If that is the case, the only thing that may help is removing the coroplast or covering it with fleece and seeing what happens. I ended up having to cover the coroplast of my ramps with duct tape. They chewed on it for a minute, guess they didn't like the taste of the tape and gave up. Maybe try that? If it is just a divider between the two cages, maybe put it in between two grids, maybe the site of the coroplast being there will fool them into thinking that there are not grids there?

I could have put it on the outside of the grids, I never thought of that though. They know the older guys are there, they can hear them and every once in a while one of the old guys tries to see over their coro. Its muggle doing it, he is not the alpha but when all four were together, he tried to be second place. He was the one terrorizing the lowest to where he just screamed all the time and stood at the grids like help me. The old guys are so much happier now, they even popcorn around a few times a week now.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've never had issues like that. Some mild chewing along the top but that's it.

How much hay are they getting?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've never had issues like that. Some mild chewing along the top but that's it.

How much hay are they getting?

Mine get unlimited hay from a hay bin, much wasted. Muggles chewed to get to the other cage/boars, knowing they were next to their cage. Now that they can see over the 6 inches, its not much of a big deal anymore.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mine get unlimited hay from a hay bin, much wasted. Muggles chewed to get to the other cage/boars, knowing they were next to their cage. Now that they can see over the 6 inches, its not much of a big deal anymore.

Oh... I meant for that question for the OP. LOL! But that's good to hear! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.