PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Taco's health thread

aspecht
08-20-13, 07:28 am
So, Taco is one of the boys I rescued recently. He has gained about 100 grams since coming to my home (about a week and a half). He is extremely active and appears to be an English. Definitely a boy, but I don't have an age on him. What is concerning me right now is that everytime he eats, he makes this choking sound. It is weird, I have never really heard it before. It's like a gaggy, choky noise. Is he truly choking? I just don't get it, it happens ONLY when he eats, but EVERYTIME he eats.

MochaAndMoo
08-20-13, 07:33 am
Since guinea pigs cannot vomit, when they get something stuck in their throat, they have to force it down their airway. Usually, this happens when they eat too fast. Try cutting his veggies into strips.

Edited by bpatters: Pigs do NOT force food down their airway when something is stuck in their throat. If they did, they'd quickly die of aspiration pneumonia.

aspecht
08-20-13, 07:37 am
I do cut all his veggies into small strips, small coins. I notice it when he eats hay as well. I will try cutting his veggies smaller this time if I can lol.

spy9doc
08-20-13, 09:24 am
Mine occasionally seem to choke on their food when they eat too fast.

You say this is a rescued boy who is underweight? Perhaps he didn't have enough food available to him previously, either because he was afraid of the environment, wasn't fed enough, or had too much competition for the available food? Give him a little more time to settle in and I suspect his behavior will change.

I've only ever had one cavy who appeared to really be choking. Ever heard of the Heimlich maneuver for humans? I picked Bubba up, suspended him upside down, and squeezed his little belly. Out popped the food!

spy9doc
08-20-13, 09:26 am
Since guinea pigs cannot vomit, when they get something stuck in their throat, they have to force it down their airway.

This is incorrect. If the food is forced down the airway, they will REALLY choke! Food is meant to travel down the esophagus into the stomach. There should be nothing in the trachea except air.

aspecht
08-23-13, 08:01 pm
Taco now has a snotty nose, so I'm guessing it was truly the beginning of a URI. I'm upset over this but expected it to happen. I can't get into my vet until Sunday and the after hours vets are cavy incompetent. I have leftover Bactrim from Henry's URI should I go ahead and begin treating with that until we see the vet on Sunday? He has lost about 110 grams