PDA

View Full Version : Sick Is he sick? Coughing, dandruff and a weird deformity

RandomCavy
08-18-13, 07:27 am
Ok, so one of my guinea pigs has been coughing when I hold him/after I put him down, but he struggles when I hold him, so I think it may just be that. He also had dandruff on his fur, which a bath fixed, but now I found a deformity on his ear, and a piece of it came off. Now the area with the deformity has white goop in it, but none has leaked out yet, and I am worried it is an old abscess, or will abscess if I leave it. Should I take him to the vet? wait a day? Help!

kltohlman
08-18-13, 07:51 am
I suggest finding A cavy savvy vet anti-biotics are probably needed

RandomCavy
08-18-13, 07:54 am
I found a cavy savy vet (on Guineapigzone.com I think), I will call them back. After the bath he is shivering still, and I dried him off, but I have him swaddled in a fleece blanket right now. I am getting more worried now, I am calling to see when He can come in (hopefully by tomorrow/the next day or sooner!). Thank you!

bpatters
08-18-13, 08:38 am
Can you post a picture of the ear? It may be a fungus, but I'd like to see what the "deformity" looks like.

And for future reference, it's not a good idea to bathe a pig that may be sick. If he's coughing, it's not time for a bath.

RandomCavy
08-19-13, 05:26 pm
Thank you! I can't take a picture, sorry :( the "deformity" has come out of the abscess, but there is still a hole there and I have been flushing it out with saline. I think the deformity may have come out because of the bath, but I will make sure not to bathe him as long as I have any suspicions :) His abscess seems to be doing better, but I am taking him to the vet to check for a URI, so I will ask about the "abscess" while I am there :)

Guinsisters
09-07-13, 08:41 am
If the deformity is still there, take him to the vet. I know that's not a very useful piece of advice, but the deformity could spread. Hope he recovers soon :)

RandomCavy
09-07-13, 06:12 pm
Thanks everyone! We took him to the vet, the vet said he seemed very healthy, but we took home some medication anyways. Because the abscess was so small, and because it was healing quickly, the vet said I could get away with discontinuing flushing it, and he is doing great now!

Guinsisters
09-08-13, 01:59 am
Thanks everyone! We took him to the vet, the vet said he seemed very healthy, but we took home some medication anyways. Because the abscess was so small, and because it was healing quickly, the vet said I could get away with discontinuing flushing it, and he is doing great now!
That's great news! :-D