PDA

View Full Version : Litter Training Plastic box as litter box - how to cut it?

Frode789
08-15-13, 12:15 pm
So I've seen several people that have used plastic boxes as litter boxes, and just cut an entrance in it. What did you use to cut the entrance? And isn't the edges sharp?

Thanks.

sassysmom
08-15-13, 12:52 pm
My boyfriend used a box cutter. If it's too thick, you can use a lighter to make the plastic hot then it's really easy! For the sharp edges, I used a nail file to smooth them out. Hope that's helpful!

Lasinalia
08-15-13, 01:06 pm
My guinea pigs jump over a 5 inch "lip" of Coroplast I duct taped across one end of their age to make a kitchen...I wish I hadn't wasted money on the litter box AND I wish I hadn't cut a hole in the side. Unless they're babies, they can jump at least 5" (put a brick or a different stepping block to train them how to get in and out.) My adult boar can jump over 6" and would have no problem up to 10" but that's just ridiculous for a kitchen :) 5" is okay.

GeekPrincess
08-15-13, 01:08 pm
I wouldn't heat plastic with a lighter. Just run it under really hot water for a few mins, then cut. Repeat as needed.

Coughingcolours
08-15-13, 02:06 pm
My boyfriend used a box cutter. If it's too thick, you can use a lighter to make the plastic hot then it's really easy! For the sharp edges, I used a nail file to smooth them out. Hope that's helpful!

This sounds suuuuper unsafe.
Just run it under hot water, and use garden shears.

Frode789
08-15-13, 02:09 pm
Thanks guys! It worked great :) (and nail file worked nicely too smooth the edges!)