Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss What could this be?

MooMoosMomma

Cavy Slave
Okay, last night I did a lot of research on the guinea lynx website looking at different pics, but it was still hard to tell, so I was wondering if I could have your input.

A little background info: It's been a rainy and humid summer in my area.
The weather has been cool off and on, so when it's nice, their run time is outside. (Safely enclosed.)
I'm *ashamed* to admit that over the past month their cage has gotten VERY dirty twice.
We live in the country, and I just noticed a family of baby rabbits hopping around the past week or so.
Theyre eating well and I'm taking them both to the vet on Friday.

So yesterday, they were outside enjoying the nice weather while I cleaned their cage & decided that it wouldn't hurt to give them a bath before going back into their clean cage. While bathing Moo Moo, I noticed the spot behind his ears were a little flakey. And with Lucky, he had nickel sized spots that were scaley looking.

after everyone was clean and dry I put them in their cage and started a little research. It seems that it could be a fungus from all the humid weather, so I thought a little bit of coconut oil on the bald spots would do them some good until Friday. As I swabbed it on with the qtip, little black flecks were coming off that looked like flea dirt, but I didn't see any fleas earlier. Today I cleaned behind both ears with an alcohol swab and reapplied the oil. None of this seemed to cause them any pain. I will post pics in a few, but does this sound familiar to anyone? Could the black flecks just be dirt?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Coconut oil won't do anything for a fungus. You can get Monistat, Nystatin, Gyne-Lotrimin, or any other antifungal with ketaconazole or miconazole in it.

The flecks could be dirt. Give them a bath, keep them in a clean cage for a few days, and see if it comes back. If it does, it's not dirt.

MooMoosMomma

Cavy Slave
I do feel horrible about the dirty cage. I've not been well & my hubby doesn't mess with the pigs very much. :( It's been clean for a week.

MooMoosMomma

Cavy Slave
IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0043.jpgIMG_0044.jpgIMG_0045.jpg

MooMoosMomma

Cavy Slave
Coconut oil won't do anything for a fungus. You can get Monistat, Nystatin, Gyne-Lotrimin, or any other antifungal with ketaconazole or miconazole in it.

The flecks could be dirt. Give them a bath, keep them in a clean cage for a few days, and see if it comes back. If it does, it's not dirt.

I have left over prescription strength Nystatin, how often should I use it on them? Thank you for the heads up about the coconut oil.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd put it on twice a day. Rub it in well. It's not as bad as antibiotic creams if the pig ingests it, but you'd still like to minimize their licking it.

MooMoosMomma

Cavy Slave
I'd put it on twice a day. Rub it in well. It's not as bad as antibiotic creams if the pig ingests it, but you'd still like to minimize their licking it.

Things are going well, & I don't get any more flecks when I clean behind their ears before putting on the cream. (I thought about it, and I'm pretty sure they were scaly flecks of skin.) They've handled it pretty well, especially since they get a sprig of parsley afterwards. :) Anyway, how much longer do you think I need to keep applying it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should keep putting it on several days past when you think it's cured. Stopping it too soon just means a recurrence and you have to start all over again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.