Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Eye injury from hay. Emergency vet or can it wait?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Midnight got a piece of hay stuck in her eye. I was able to remove it but her eye looks grayish and is sunken in a little. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I know guinea pigs hide that well. The regular vet is closed and the emergency vet close by does not have a guinea pig vet right now. My only other options are wait until the morning to take her to the regular vet or take her to the emergency vet farther away. I'm wondering if it can wait. I have no idea if its serious enough to need to take her in now and my mom would rather not take her if its not necessary. If it can wait is there anything I should do?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, they'll put some drops in her eye. And maybe some pain meds. I had the same thing happen a long time ago and no regular vet would even see her. That really ticked me off. I mean, an eye is an eye. If it were me, I'd take her to the emergency vet. I think the sooner it gets some treatment, the better.

But, edit to add, I'm not 100% sure if an emergency trip for an eye is warranted. Perhaps some others will know better.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I would go to the vet tonight. I would call & ask both about experience with eye injuries and make the decision of which (closer or far away) to see.

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Can you put a picture of it? Depending on the level of damage an emergency vet may be warranted. Eye injuries are tricky like that.

In my experience I had one pig have an injury from a poke in the eye and did not go right to the vet- rather than emergency vet I waited to bring him to the cavy savy vet and I was glad I waited as he only had a scratched cornea. On the other hand I had a pig who was bit in the eye and emergency trip was very warranted. If the globe is obviously not ruptured, and he isn't acting too different, you should be safe bringing him right in the morning. For reference, here is a link to Bird's eye when he got poked- he went to the vet two days later and the eye was looking better before he even went. He had a scratched cornea and had lubricating eye drops and antibiotic ointment prescribed.

I've dealt with a couple eye injuries but I am not expert, use your discretion. This is just advice based on my experiences.
Good luck

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Eye injuries hurt like the devil. I think I'd call the ER vet and see if they'd give me pain medication without charging me an arm and a leg and then take her to your normal vet in the morning. That's if you're pretty sure you got all the hay out. If there's hay still stuck in there that you can't pull loose, then I'd take her to the vet.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture. The white part is pea eye. Not from the injury.

I'm pretty sure I got all the hay out.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
We have decided to take her in tonight.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Let us know how it goes

pinky

Cavy Slave
A few years back I was taking out yard waste and bent over the bag and felt a pop in my eye. I realized I punctured my eye with the tip of a dogwood branch. I could see but it was cloudy. When I went in the house to look in the mirror, I could see my eye was all bloody and I could see a hole in the white part of my eye. There was no pain but it looked really bad. I drove myself to urgent care and they put some anesthetic drops in before they checked it. There was a lot of debris in the puncture wound so they had to remove the debris. The gave me drops and an antibiotic and it healed up. I'd never take a chance with puncture wounds because there might be debris left in the eye that can cause more damage.

Last edited:

mmas4

Cavy Slave
There is a scratch on the cornea. It should heal up nicely.

pinky

Cavy Slave
There is a scratch on the cornea. It should heal up nicely.

That's a relief. Did they flush it and give you an antibacterial ointment?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
That's a relief. Did they flush it and give you an antibacterial ointment?

Yes. I will be putting the ointment in her eye for a week.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Glad it is nothing too serious!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.