Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hi. my screen name says it all!

Cavy_newby

Cavy Slave
I'm a cavy newbie. I've never had guinea pigs growing up. Recently, I watched my 6 yr old nephews for a week and fell in love! They are the sweetest and cutest little creatures. I enjoyed having him every minute, so me and my fiance have been thinking about getting 2. 2 females. Does anyone have advice on how/where to adopt? Pet stores are pricey, but understandable I guess. We peeked at Craigslist out of curiosity. Some good prices but is this method "shady"? We're wanting two female babies so they can grow up knowing us and being used to being handled, ect. But we've also decided not get them until we have a good sized and set up cage (probably the most expensive purchase.). So I'd say in a few weeks we very well could be cavy owners!
Any tips on how/where to shop for them? What to look for?
How about bedding? Fleece? How often must one fleece be washed?
Are the paper bits stuff better?

Fill us in! No amount of info is too much! (And yes we've done lots of research. But this forum could be a big help too)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Don't rule out an older piggy! We have two guinea pigs that came to us at 1 week (still with mom) and 4 weeks old. They have been handled and given attention and they STILL hate being picked up and cuddled. The one that came to us at a week old is a bit better, she will settle down for pets but makes it clear she really doesn't want to be there. The other freaks out, constantly tries to run away and hates it so much that we don't even try and force it anymore. We take her out for her weight checks and nail clippings and she lets us get away with that but only just.

On the other hand I have Gidget, about 2 or 3 and hands down the most affectionate piggy we have. She comes right up to the bars and lets me scratch her nose, I can reach right into the cage and she just sits there and lets me pet her. She sometimes sits at the edge of the cage and stares at me until I get up to pet her. I give Gidget laptime in a cuddle sack and she just lays down shuts her eyes and lets me pet her. She could sit there for hours and be happy and she just squeeks away at me. I often hold her while I'm playing a video game and she just loves it. I've had gidget for maybe 8 months. She was already at least 2 years old when we got her from a man off craigslist who said she didn't like being held and so he gave up trying. Obviously that turned out to be untrue. lol

If you give us your general location we try and help you find a rescue. A rescue will let you go and visit their pigs and will help you find a pair that will fit your family.

Cavy_newby

Cavy Slave
Oh thank you! We at first figured rescue two adults but read they probably won't take to us as easily as babies. I think us going to see some at a shelter would be a great idea! We're from the St Louis Mo area.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum :D so im hearing youre looking for advice? o: Well, what general advice are you looking for? ^^" theres lots to know, just some basics are that C&C cages are highly recommended :p
uhmm.. never mix boy and girl piggies, only if the boy is neutered..uhm.. always make sure they have a friend, as they are highly social :p theres no such thing as to big of a cage, also, what I love to do is look through the Gallery of cages and such to get ideas, I have some for my hay racks, and if you need anything :D Let us know! As always, welcome to the forum and we hope you stay!

Additionally, don't get from a breeder, this site is highly against it as it stresses out the sow,

A sow is a girl piggy, a boar is a boy piggy :p
Boys need lots more room, as they.. are.. defensive more? no.. I forget what its called lol..uhmm.. DOMINENT! that's what it was lol, but yeah :p Also, once you get your piggies, you'll see them squabble for a bit, meaning they might.. mount each other, or chase each other, but its normal ^^ As long as there is no bleeding, its normal, also, don't mess with them for the first.. ive been told week or so once you get them so they can adjust into their new home c:

Theres a thread around here showing a full list of what you can give your piggies, it even shows how often, and such, but if you need anything more c: We're here to help!

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
If you go to a shelter, hopefully you could get a pair that is already bonded and you won't have to go through the introductions. Please don't buy from the pet store; they treat their animals there horribly and many go to their new home with an illness. Additionally, the employees often don't know how to sex guinea pigs and you could get the wrong gender or a pregnant sow. But the main reason you should opt to adopt rather than shop (haha) is because pet stores get their guinea pigs from mills with horrible conditions. Buying a pig there would be like supporting those mills, because with every guinea pig that is bought, a new one is brought in from that mill. :(

As for bedding: fleece is a great choice, as it cuts down on costs, but must be spot-cleaned at least once per day. I find the easiest way to do that is by using a handheld vacuum. I then do a full cage cleaning about once per week. Also, not sure if you know this about fleece, but you need an absorbent layer underneath it, like towel. I use two layers of towels underneath. Others use puppy pee pads, uhaul pads, newspaper, etc. There are many options. :) And before you put the fleece in the cage, it must be washed and dried 3 or 4 times so that it will wick properly. This allows urine to go through the fleece into the absorbent layer and keep piggy feet dry!

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! this is a great place to get piggy information!
Guinea pigs need veggies daily, especially high vitamin C veggies, because they can't produce it on their own. They need hay 24/7, and it should be soft and green. C&C cages are great, because you can customize them and add/remove from them as you like, they are big enough for two or more pigs and cheaper! Pellets should not have colored bits or seeds, they should just be plain pellets made for guinea pigs. again welcome! :)

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
@RandomCavy forgive me for asking, but why not colored bits? Im just curious lol

Cavy_newby

Cavy Slave
@RandomCavy forgive me for asking, but why not colored bits? Im just curious lol
i'm not exactly sure but i've read online the colored bits are just useless sugary things the cavys don't need. and it'll cause weight gain. i could be wrong, tho! (needless to say my nephews cavy LOVES the color bits and is a pretty heafty fellow. lol)

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Ah I see o: Thanks ^^''

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
yes the colored bits are unhealthy for them :)

Cavy_newby

Cavy Slave
i think we'll be getting our cage in the next 3 weeks. soooo excited!! but with bedding, which is best? fleece or paper bits?
we live in an apartment complex with a shared laundry room, so i'm curious as to how often we need to change/wash fleece?
and is it possible to litterbox train them?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Definitely fleece (with uhaul pads or something similar underneath. fleece wicks and uhaul soaks up). and disposable in a kitchen area (which is the litterbox) put their hay, water, pellets, and veg in the kitchen and they will use it. Mine do anyay, and most people I've read that have kitchens don't have to wash their fleece as fast. My boys are still learning but they're doing better. I need a bigger cage for them but need to adopt out my three ladies first. I took a "family" (now gender separated of course) when I had only intended to take two baby girls...

Change the fleece every week and the kitchen disposable bedding as often as needed. different types of disposable last longer than others. I have shredded paper and the only thing worse than it is plain newspaper. :/

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think fleece would be better in an apartment, so that way there aren't bits of bedding on the floor. I change out my fleece once a week, and spot clean twice a day. Once you're done washing it, just put the washer on the clean cycle with some bleach, and everything should be good between you and the neighbors :)

Some do litter train, but they never fully litter train; I have one that's litter trained, but she uses it about 80% of the time. If she's in her house, she won't leave to use the litterbox.

Cavy_newby

Cavy Slave
What do you use to try litter training? And what do you spot clean the fleece with?

piggypeople

Cavy Slave
Well look at local rescues. Pet finder is a good recourse. Cregislist can be good but just be extra careful when adopting. My pig was being given away by someone at my mom's work and by luck my mom desided to bring her home for me (I had been begging for a pig for 2 years of reasurch). Well I've owned pigs for 2 years now and here is my recomendations.

Cage: C&C 2x4 or bigger. I prefered to get extra grids for a stand/ storage.
bedding: Fleece system (should have at least two blankets because you can enterchange them but the more the marrier). Recomend a litter try of kaytee sented recycled bedding (prefered but any bedding would work)
Food: I just use the plan jane pellets I find at walmart.
Hay: Timothy unless your pigs are under 6 months then alfalfa. But I've been trying a bit of ortured grass.
Toys: Make them... Anything cardboard my pig loves... old soda can boxes with holes are great or oat meal containers. even just tp rolls to nibble on. Also soft things if your pig isn't a chewer. Like old stuff animals or blankets. If you sew make a bed.
Cleaning: I use a pet safe stain and oder remover I use to clean my dog creats (purchased at walmart)

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Cavy_newby I use a ferret/rabbit corner litterbox; I put recycled paper bedding in it. I got it at a farm and fleet store. I found that putting a few of their droppings in it and a couple pieces of hay encourages them to use it.

I spot clean my fleece with a handheld broom and dustpan. Hope this helps :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.