PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my special boys

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 06:54 pm
Hi!

I have posted a couple of questions on here (and have been very thankful for the advice!) but have not actually introduced myself or shared any pictures of my boys so I figured I would now! Since I can only post 5 pictures per post, I will post of Chinny in this post, then I will make a post for Pikachu and then I will do one with group shots. :)

This is Chinny. He is about 5 years old. Technically he is not mine, I have been watching him for a friend with apartment issues since February. However, even though he is hers, he has become a big, very loved part of my family!

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 06:56 pm
This is Pikachu. He is a fairly new addition to our family and a new friend for Chinny (they are getting along so well!!). I am not sure how old he is (any guesses?). Also, any thoughts on what kind of guinea pig he is? He is fluffier than chinny and has tufts of hair that stick up on his back and a ringlet on his head. So cute! :)

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 06:57 pm
Pictures of my boys in their cage.

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 06:58 pm
Outside pictures!

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 07:00 pm
Last but not least!

natsmom26
08-12-13, 07:12 pm
Adorable!!! Just an FYI, though. Make sure you supervise constantly in that outside cage. I used to have a piggy escape from a cage much higher than that. I couldn't believe how high the piggies could jump until I saw it with my own eyes.

jubespiggies
08-12-13, 07:12 pm
Hi! Welcome to the forum, Looks like you're going to be all set with piggies. Just a word of advice, in the first picture, Chinny is wearing a harness, which is not recommended for guinea pig use. It can lead to spinal & back injuries, and in some cases, guinea pigs were so uncomfortable in it that they have squirmed out an run away. It is far better to leave them in an outside pen like in the later pens and let them do what they like.
Also, the walls of the pen you have are probably too short and they could jump out if they get scared.
Anyway, welcome to the forum lol

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 07:30 pm
I am always right there when they are outside in the playpen. They are never alone, even for a second. :) Today my 5 year old son wanted something inside that he couldn't reach and asked me if I could go get it and he would stay with the piggies and even though it would only have taken me a minute, I decided to gather up the guinea pigs and put them away first. lol So far neither have tried to jump over the cage- I honesty dont think chinny could (hes a chunky old man lol not super active although getting better now that he has a little buddy) and the baby pretty much stays ontop of him at all times. However, If I see any sign of issues, I will build a new play pen. My regular yard is fenced in as well, but I wouldn't want to have to catch them if they got loose. lol.

Thanks for the fyi on the harness- we don't use it often (actually just twice) and never pulled on it or anything (always followed him around like you would a cat) but I will make sure to avoid it completely from now on! I was unaware it could cause an issue. :)

aspecht
08-12-13, 07:31 pm
Welcome! Your pigs are adorable, as is your Sons(?) I agree that the harness is probably not a good idea, and you may want to consider making a higher side for your outdoor pen! Otherwise it's awesome of you to help your friend out. Hopefully you stick around! There's TONS of good information here.

Laura Lehr
08-12-13, 07:35 pm
Welcome! Your pigs are adorable, as is your Sons(?) I agree that the harness is probably not a good idea, and you may want to consider making a higher side for your outdoor pen! Otherwise it's awesome of you to help your friend out. Hopefully you stick around! There's TONS of good information here.

Thank you so much! I won't use the harness anymore! I really did not realize it could cause an issue. :( woops! I guess I'll try to find a way to make the play pen higher. I really thought it was fine until you guys said it wasn't. Woops again! I Will see if my husband has any ideas.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Pikachu's age or coat type? He def is different than chinny. His fur is so soft and fluffy and sticks up in a few places. lol Is it just cause he's a baby?

Agrimony
08-12-13, 08:08 pm
Welcome! Very cute piglets!

RandomCavy
08-12-13, 09:07 pm
Welcome! I think someone on here made a thread for telling what breed of pig you have, maybe someone else can post a link to it :)