PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new to piggies 2-3years, still learning new things.

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 03:13 pm
Hello, I'm Briana and im 17 we have had guniea pigs for 2-3 years and when we got them it was for my brother and I kind of have just taken over with them, When we got them we knew nothing about them really and asked the people that had them before us what we should do for them and need to do, They had only told us to give them viggies a couple times a week and we quickly learned that they were wrong and they left out the most important part about guinea pigs needing vitiman C veggies because they can't produce it on their own.

When we got them there was Sophie and Chloe then we got Squirt and then Bengie. We still have Sophie and Bengie but they do not live in the same cage together because we don't want babies. Do guinea pigs really need to be kept in pairs?

They now have fleece as bedding because I find it much easyier to clean then having to scoop out shavings once or twice a week which is a big job on its own. I have rats and they have fleece in their cage so spot cleaning every day is nothing new to me.

Some information about me is I love crafts, making things, doing nails, and aniamls.

I have Two guinea pigs, two bunnies, three dogs, four cats, four rats, and to hamsters. Everyone in the house cares for the aniamals but one cat, the rats, the fish, and the hamsters are mine because I got them on my own and have had my cat sense I was four.

Also Sophie had one litter with Bengie but we don't plan on it again because we didn't like how weak she looked while she was taking care of the babies.

Anyways This is a little bit about me and my animals. Pictures to come soon. :)

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 03:14 pm
Oh the two pictures that are attached are of Squirt when we first got him and the secound picture is of Sophie and Chloe, Sophie has the pink ears.

boofp
08-12-13, 03:27 pm
welcome, cutie piggies, yes they are happier in pairs.

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 03:34 pm
welcome, cutie piggies, yes they are happier in pairs.

Thanks and I try to let them be together but its hard to keep Bengie from Sophie. So we take them out at the same time and play with them both.

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 03:35 pm
54300 this is Bengie.

boofp
08-12-13, 08:31 pm
aaww so cute.

bpatters
08-12-13, 08:41 pm
They are very cute, but you're courting disaster by letting them out at the same time. It takes guinea pigs about three seconds to mate. I'm glad you decided not to breed Sophie again, but you're taking a big chance by putting them together.

Why not get Bengie neutered? Or get each of them a friend of the same sex? Guinea pigs really do better with piggy friends.

Welcome to the forum!

RandomCavy
08-12-13, 08:47 pm
Welcome! your pigs are cute!

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 09:15 pm
They are very cute, but you're courting disaster by letting them out at the same time. It takes guinea pigs about three seconds to mate. I'm glad you decided not to breed Sophie again, but you're taking a big chance by putting them together.

Why not get Bengie neutered? Or get each of them a friend of the same sex? Guinea pigs really do better with piggy friends.

Welcome to the forum!

I know they can mate very easily and fast I don't take them out on my own my brother is there sense Sophie is originally his piggy but we keep him from getting super close to her to mate. Getting him neutered isn't an easy thing here their is one vet that does rodents and its two hours away sense the are exotics and not many people here have Guniea pigs. Only one of my parents are working right now due to surgery so money is tight so getting two more piggies or Bengie neutered isn't really an option right now. Not to mention how much they can eat haha that can get expensive enough on once both parents are working I will look into the cost for a neuter and try to maybe get an after school job and help pay for it until them ill stick with what I'm doing.

Mitsykitty
08-12-13, 09:16 pm
I meant it can get expensive enough on its own right now.