Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Help my guinea pig has mites!

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
My 4 month old guinea pig Yuki has mites. I have 2 others so weve checked them and only 1 had visible mites as well, we will be treating all the guinea pigs for them though. I know ivermectin treats mites. How do i weigh my guinea pigs?Can mange mites be transferred to birds and dogs? If so how do i treat them on birds and dogs? Where can I get ivermectin, like is at target or walmart?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're visible, they're not mites. Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin. Lice, maybe? Can you post a picture?

You can get ivermectin at any feed store. If it's the horse or cattle paste, it requires a LOT of dilution and very careful measuring. You'll need a 1 cc (1 ml) syringe (without a needle) to measure it.

You need a kitchen scale that weighs up to about five pounds in both grams and ounces. You can get them online, or at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, second hand stores, etc.

The mites will not infect either your family or your other animals -- they're species specific.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
If they're visible, they're not mites. Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin. Lice, maybe? Can you post a picture?

You can get ivermectin at any feed store. If it's the horse or cattle paste, it requires a LOT of dilution and very careful measuring. You'll need a 1 cc (1 ml) syringe (without a needle) to measure it.

You need a kitchen scale that weighs up to about five pounds in both grams and ounces. You can get them online, or at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, second hand stores, etc.

The mites will not infect either your family or your other animals -- they're species specific.

They are a brownish white. near her rump i tried taking a picture but you couldnt see them in the camera so that didnt work. she squeals when we touch her rump. if it is lice would ivermectin cure that as well and could it be spread to me and my bird and dog?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, ivermectin will work with lice as well. Lice are also species specific. That doesn't mean you or your pets won't get bitten, but they won't set up housekeeping on you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it'll work. It's the stuff that treats 1250-pound livestock, so it has to be massively diluted.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@aspecht, you don't have to buy anything to dilute the other with -- you can use water. But I agree that the one you posted is easier to use.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@aspecht , you don't have to buy anything to dilute the other with -- you can use water. But I agree that the one you posted is easier to use.

Hmmmm I thought I'd read that you had to dilute it with glycol! But I do prefer the one that doesn't have to be diluted at all, so much easier and less worry! Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] for clearing that up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.