Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best Housing for Cavies

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have just gotten some cavies and have them in totes in my room, but I am looking to expand a little bit. I was wondering what the best cages and best places to keep them are -- like in winter. Do you HAVE to keep them in the house?

Thanks,

Kayla

Last edited by a moderator:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Fancy Oaks Cavy said:
Hi,

I have just gotten some cavies and have them in totes in my room, but I am looking to expand a little bit. I was wondering what the best cages and best places to keep them are -- like in winter. Do you HAVE to keep them in the house?

Thanks,

Kayla
First and formost this is a rescue oriented site. I need to insist that you take all advertising for your rabbitry/caviary out of your signature when you post.

You will not get good feedback on breeding or showing animals here. I recommend you read this especially the first line in the post https://guineapigcages.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27&announcementid=7

In our views our pets are our family. Like our human family they live in the house with us. I would no more make my animals live outside in cages or a shed then I would my human children. Keeping animals outside encourages people to view them as livestock. We do not condone that view any more then we condone breeding in a world where rescues are full to the breaking point with animals.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Well it's a good idea to keep them in the house. Not only are they protected from the elements, you are also more likely to scoop them up and intereact with them. You can also monitor them for signs if illness better.

A C&C is the best form of cavy housing! Scroll to the top and click home and find out what it's all about. :)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi, they need to be in the house. They are best in a c&c cage.(cubes&coroplast)

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave
Where can you get the C&C cages? My cages/totes are 30.5"X12" and 19"X12". Are they to small? (I've been to 'home' and printed the cage standards. Measurements/Math doesn't come easy to me.)

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Your cages are even smaller than my current cages. Yours are WAY too small.:eye-poppi

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Fancy Oaks Cavy said:
Thanks, which ones would you suggest? I usually have them seperated, but when I breed them you put the two together and then, I seperate the males and females (when they are weaned).
Fancy Oaks, You are going too far. We DO NOT advocate breeding on this site. You are basically asking our members to give you advice to help you breed your Guinea Pigs. That is not acceptable and against board rules.

This entire website and forum is run by a Guinea Pig rescue. A rescue that needs to exist because of breeders. If I was in any way vague in my first post to you try to read this carefully. This forum is 100% against the breeding of Guinea Pigs.

If you ever again ask for or give advice on breeding animals you will at the very least get a 1 week ban.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I think it's especially silly that you breed when you don't even know what type of housing is best:eek:

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave
I am sorry. I love them very much. Thank You for your help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How many pigs do you have of each sex? It's hard to recommend any cage sizes unless we know how many you have. If you truly love your piggers, then you won't breed them.

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
How many pigs do you have of each sex? It's hard to recommend any cage sizes unless we know how many you have. If you truly love your piggers, then you won't breed them.

I have a boar and a sow that I bought (with three little boars and their sister now.). The sow was pregnant when I bought her. I really did just get them for pets and I'm not looking to raise them raise them. You know? It wasn't much choice of mine that she was pregnant already. I really did get them for pets in the first place. I only sell them to homes I'm pretty sure of too. You know what's really sad? I heard of this guy that has a whold bunch of them all running together inter-breeding and stuff! That made me sick!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So let me try to understand this situation correctly. You bought a male and a pregnant female. When you bought them, did you have intentions of breeding them again? Otherwise what was the point of buying a male and a female? You say you aren't looking to raise them but yet in one of your earlier posts on this thread you said, "I usually have them seperated, but when I breed them you put the two together and then, I seperate the males and females (when they are weaned).". So it seems to me that you did or do have an intention of breeding them again because you are contradicting yourself in your posts.

You are selling the pups. Why not adopt them out instead and ask for an adoption fee and then DO NOT breed them anymore. I had two accidental pregnancies, it was due to my son and his friend putting my boar in the girls cage and thinking it was funny to watch him "hump" the girls without regard to the consequences that any of my sows could get pregnant. I lost one litter of 2 pups, one was born dead and the other lived for 7 1/2 days. It was heartwrenching to see it happen. I adopted out two wonderful pigs (one female pup and one adult boar-the father of all the pups) but I never charged one cent for either adoption fee. I only wanted the piggers to go into happy healthy homes where they would be taken well care of. Voodoojoint has one of my former pups.

My advice would be to keep one of the baby boars as a companion for your papa boar and keep the little sow as a companion to your mama sow. Build 2 separate 2x4 cages and house the girls in one and the boys in the other and not to let them play or be together under any circumstances.

Fancy Oaks Cavy

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
So let me try to understand this situation correctly. You bought a male and a pregnant female. When you bought them, did you have intentions of breeding them again? Otherwise what was the point of buying a male and a female? You say you aren't looking to raise them but yet in one of your earlier posts on this thread you said, "I usually have them seperated, but when I breed them you put the two together and then, I seperate the males and females (when they are weaned).". So it seems to me that you did or do have an intention of breeding them again because you are contradicting yourself in your posts.

You are selling the pups. Why not adopt them out instead and ask for an adoption fee and then DO NOT breed them anymore. I had two accidental pregnancies, it was due to my son and his friend putting my boar in the girls cage and thinking it was funny to watch him "hump" the girls without regard to the consequences that any of my sows could get pregnant. I lost one litter of 2 pups, one was born dead and the other lived for 7 1/2 days. It was heartwrenching to see it happen. I adopted out two wonderful pigs (one female pup and one adult boar-the father of all the pups) but I never charged one cent for either adoption fee. I only wanted the piggers to go into happy healthy homes where they would be taken well care of. Voodoojoint has one of my former pups.

My advice would be to keep one of the baby boars as a companion for your papa boar and keep the little sow as a companion to your mama sow. Build 2 separate 2x4 cages and house the girls in one and the boys in the other and not to let them play or be together under any circumstances.

I DID have the intention of breeding them again -- when I bought them. I have kinda changed my mind now. I will do as you suggest of keeping the little sow and a boar and build or buy the cages. But, I put the males together (outside they're current cages) and they don't get along very well. Thanks for all the help!

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I think that if you have changed your mind and are not going to breed, you have really made a huge step to understanding what being a responsible pet owner is all about. PLus, your pets will thank you too. Please read the ENTIRE cavyspirit site. Read all the info on introductions, feeding, care, houseing. All the basic-getting-started info is there. Then, if you still have a question about something that you are not sure, ask away. Please do not breed! :0)

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Fancy Oaks Cavy said:
Thanks, which ones would you suggest? I usually have them seperated, but when I breed them you put the two together and then, I seperate the males and females (when they are weaned).

Please don't breed - I am a former breeder of rabbits and stopped about a decade ago. And I bred mainly for my OWN needs (I was a hand spinner and had a small clutch of fuzzy bunnies) and kept many of the offspring. I also showed occassionally - but only those that were stressed by it. If a rabbit could not handle the car or such, never saw a show. lets see if I can get this in in ten minutes - little kiddo havign snack and I have to go get boy from school i ten.

I am not even going to discuss overpopulation... but cleaning up after a couple local breeders with no scruples and who i hav NO idea how many litters of rabbits between the two in three yearsd... (I bred maybe seven litters in eight plus years before stopping). Even if this did not do it, the heartache would have stopped me... 'Here are some of the issues from six litters.

Litter 1 - great doe, winner personality, healthy. fluke, two kits - one abnormally lodged and strangled, other died shortly thereafter - too small. Cost of vet bills for emergency induction when a day past due - over $1,000.

Llitter 2 - same doe, one kit with deformed eye. Unknown of hereditary or fluke. Vet said probably not hereditary as it looked like eye was damaged in nestbox. Kept one of three kits. Cost of ocular check for kit, a couple hundred...

Litter 3 - same doe, her last litter - went fine.

Litter four - different doe. Abnormally large - 11 kits in a breed with the aveerage. I saved all but one. Mercifully I had a second doe with a small litter (the one from first three litters ) and she fostered half the litter. Took months to find good homes for all the bunnies. None went to stores... This meant a huge feed bill, more cages, more hay, bottles, crocks, etc... Huge expense. Kept a couple kits.

Litter five (doe from litter four) - five kits, one born horribly deformed, doe spooked, nipped ears off one, nipped ears off anotehr and tramped - shock she lived and never left us. Spent several hundred dollars on her.

Litter six - small litter, fostered injured kit to that litter. Kept two of the three buns plus damaged kit.

Litter seven - no issue.

I stopped breeding in 1995.

Well, have to get boy. I will continue later.

But let's just say - no money in breeding. I lost hundreds of dollars per litter between food, housing, medical... I chose very good stock, known for easy births, etc. It is hearbreaking and expensive.

All pets went on alter contracts all had return clauses and every year, I wrote the new families to make sure things were all right.

But you know, I learned, just not worth the risk or expense. And note - my sister is a vet and I have close associatiobs with great exotics - and I had the late Dr Terry Reed mentor one of my vets.

I luckily never lost a doe - but I know many who did.

This is the side of breeding Disney never shows! the death and expense.

Homemom

Cavy Slave
oooooh typo

Please don't breed - I am a former breeder of rabbits and stopped about a decade ago. And I bred mainly for my OWN needs (I was a hand spinner and had a small clutch of fuzzy bunnies) and kept many of the offspring. I also showed occassionally - but only those that were stressed by it.

This should read not stressed. And I showed in part to make sure I was breeding only correct type and wool texture.

And to give an idea -

I did a heck of a lot of research into breeding. I grew up around it with dogs and grew up in teh dog show/competition environ.

I studied as much about genetics in rabbits (mainly just color at that point - there was not much on anything else other than genetics and coat types) as I could find.

I studied known hereditary issues.

I chose my rabbits carefully from reseached raisers who also used the wool. Too many English were starting to have coats more like French - incorrect. I also hunted dwn English with the correct cobby build - too many were being bred with French builds - you want a French, get one - do not make the English look like a French!

I questioned backgrounds for health. Spoke to others who had acquired rabbits from these people (checked references), observed their animals at show. I knew what bloodlines to look for and what to avoid. I picked for temperament as much as anything. With rabbits that are so high maintenance, I could not risk the chance of passing on questionable temperament no matter how good the animal. I also chose rabbits from lines known to throw SMALLER litters where most want quantity, I wanted small.

I worked closely with my vet (a highjly recommended exotics guy who was a half hour away and then moved an hour away, I staying with him. When he left the state, I worked with another vet willing to learn about rabbits and put the clinic in touch with who was considered at that time the authority on rabbit health).

We discussed many issues.

I did far more research into breeding than the average person did and I have more than my share of problems.

I was ridiculed by many in the club for the lengths I went...

But by the time I was done, I was the head of the health committee for the club.

By the time I bred my first litter, I knew more than the oldest and longest club member.

I used cages far larger than recommended at the time (though now I know even those were too small.)

I was determined not to make the same mistakes I saw others making.

And you know what.

I went broke. I kept records and never even came close to breaking even.

When all expenses from food and supplies to medical care, grooming supplies, etc., all the expenses that go into ownership and the added ones for breeding... could have paid my old clunker off a heck of a lot faster. Heck I was in my early 20s and driving a old Mercury Grand Marquis wagon because it was all I could afford. All my spare cash was into the animals and then into rescue and cleanign up from a couple nighborhood kids... :(

There was nothing more soothing than having an Angora stretched out asleep on my lap as I combed out the molting wool for spinning. (I could pluck but was afraid of pulling too hard and tugging new wool).

There was nothing more stressing than praying nothing went wrong with a breeding.

What did I learn?

I would have been better off seeking out rabbits that fit my needs as opposed to breeding them. It would have been easier.

And remember, I went to far greater lengths than most breeders considered highly reputable at that time.

I also discovered I have rabbit allergies so I no longer even rescue - I can manage one small rabbit, but even that can sometimes set me off depending on general air quality and pollen.

My last rabbit was the victim of a bad owner and bad breeder. He was a Holland Lop. He may have pulled out all his front teeth the shelter thought - they would never grow back. But he had no tooth buds or signs of trauma to the gum, I will always wonder if he was born that way as it looked like there were never any teeth at all... But I go by the shelter's assumption as wire pulling is common in bored rabbits in too small cages - and the trauma can be severe.

He had an intestinal problem that turned out to be ideopathic. Possibly hereditary. I knew he would be special needs when I adopted him. But even the humane sociaty had no idea just how special needs. His intestinal issues caused chronic loose stool that caked his bottom. We were always pulling clumps of fecal matter off him. Every day. We were battling raw skin frequently if the stool was excessive soft or runny.

He could not digest food well. He had issues picking up and biting - no incisors. All veggies had to be ground or dried and crushed. He could not eat hay well. We tested many times. Tried many diets. Many medications. Went to great lengths.

He was miserable. He was not active. Did not want to leave his cage unlike his predecessor who was a real great house rabbit. After two years and when he started to bloat for unknown reasons (no blockage, no diet chance recently), we had to put him down.

I do miss showing, but over the past couple days after many posts here, I did a lot of soul searching - it was not the showing actually I missed but the more laid back atmosphere of the "commercial breed" guys as compared to the dog show scene I grew up in. That is what I miss - just kicking back, getting grubby, working a barn... Not really putting a critter on a table for evaluation.

But breeding as right as possible is so much work and expense - and no matter how well you prepare, how well you study and how much you work... Nature humbles. Nature decides what will happen and we can only intervene so much in many respects.

Please, take my experience.

Yes, years ago but there are so many things I remember too clearly.

And I was very lucky. I never lost my favorite doe - the one that was leash trained, who loved to travel with my dog, who used to go hiking while riding in a backpack, who I have pictures of at the top of Cadillac Mountain in Maine at sunrise...

Please, think long and hard...

jdomans

Cavy Slave
The math is easy. In inches multiply length by width and divide by 144. you get your answer for size in sq.ft. Use a calculator. The instructions on the homepage about C&C cages is exactly what you do step by step. If I can do it you can too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.