PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

brebanana93
08-06-13, 11:49 am
Hi everyone! I'm Breanna, and I figured that I should introduce myself. I just turned 20 today and I don't really know what else to say about myself! I'm a junior in college and I have a deep love for animals. I have three pets of my own: a four year old Pomeranian named Kujo, a hybrid dwarf hamster named Gus Gus, and a LH dove Syrian named Aoife.

I decided to join because I'll be getting guinea pigs within the next two weeks, and I came here first to make sure I was doing everything right. I've had piggies in the past, but it's been a really long time. I just finished building my 3x3 C&C cage, and now I'm just waiting for the perfect pair of piggies to pop up!

I do have one question though. I know that boars need more space than sows, and I was originally planning to try and find two sows to adopt because of the size of my cage. However I keep finding bonded pairs of boars that are up for adoption and I would gladly adopt a pair of them if I knew that a 3x3 C&C would work for them! In the future it might be possible for me to expand to a 3x4 because of the way my coroplast is layered (I have PLENTY of extra overlapping) but right now I can't because of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

RandomCavy
08-06-13, 12:06 pm
I would think it depends on the boars. I have heard boars do better in a wider cage, though. Welcome! :)

piggles0117
08-06-13, 12:18 pm
Hey! Welcome to the Forum! I think if you have the room, a 3x4 would be better as it is equivalent to a 2x5, and a 3x3 is only a 2x4.

Lasinalia
08-06-13, 12:24 pm
If you want to come to Indiana, I have a mother/daughter I'm trying to adopt out :)

Welcome to the forum! We love pictures so get some of even just the cage! :D

AllThesePiggies
08-06-13, 12:44 pm
I think a 3x3 might work for two boars. What's recommended is a 2x5, but many have said that they get along better when the cage is wider. A 3x3 is 9 square feet and a 2x5 is 10 square feet, so it's almost the same. You could try it, but if it doesn't work well you may have to expand!

brebanana93
08-06-13, 01:07 pm
Thanks for the welcome guys! I wish I could make it all the way to Indiana but that definitely isn't an option right now :P
I will post some pictures of the cage empty, full, and then full with piggies when I get them in the near future!

The grids are 14 inches (which mine are, I had to make sure) instead of 12 inches, right? Wouldn't that change the square footage? Because if the grids were 12 inches, 2x5 is 10 square feet. But with them being 14 inches, 28 in. x 70 in. is 13.69 square feet. So 42 in. x 42 in. (3x3) would be 12.25 square feet. Sorry for all the maths but I'm just trying to figure out what I'm actually working with here!

AllThesePiggies
08-06-13, 02:26 pm
Whoops, I forgot the grids aren't exactly a foot! Haha you would be correct then. :) I'm sure that'd be fine with two boars, but just remember that it really depends on the actual pig.

brebanana93
08-06-13, 02:51 pm
This is true! I'll just have to see what happens. Thank you again!

boofp
08-06-13, 03:03 pm
Welcome, Cant wait to see your cage whatever size you decide. I have girls so no help there. Cant wait to see your new additons keep ups updated.