Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Timothy Hay Question...

• Thread starter mel molly meg and missy
  • Start date
M

mel molly meg and missy

Timothy Hay Question...

I am new to piggys, We have Four, Mel, Molly, Meg, and Missy. They are adictive, we started with one a couple months ago and just couldn't stop! My question. At my local pet supply store they want $2-3 for mini bales of timothy hay, And I go through a couple a week. I contacted a local feed store and they have large bales but they are a Timothy/Alphala mix 75/25. I can get the large bales for the same price I pay for the mini ones and the large ones are fresh cut localy. For now the piggies are still young, (Mel the oldest is only just 2 months and missy the youngst is only about 5 weeks.) so for now it should be ok but when they get older will the be too much Alphala?

Thanks,

-Glen, Rosa and the Gang!

Attachments

Princess in room lighting 1.jpg Rosie in a blanket.jpg
P

peachygrl

Hay!

I've only ever given timothy hay to my piggies. I believe after they are 4mos old they don't need the alfalfa hay anymore - so you should be safe with that up to 4mos old. Do you know who their supplier is? Perhaps you can arrange to get timothy-only bales instead of the mixed bales. It *is* much cheaper to buy more and it is fairly easy to store and keep fresh. I buy my hay from the ferret store : (broken link removed)
or direct from oxbow:
(broken link removed)

If you can afford a larger order, the ferret store does free shipping (for all U.S. orders over $25).

Hope that helped!
Amy

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Hay!

I buy my cavies Timothy hay at PetsMart in bags of 48 ounces. This may not be as fresh as the Ferret Store's hay, but I know the fresh smell of hay, and the bags I've bought so far have looked/smelled fresh. Not to say the Kaytee 48 oz. bags *are* fresh, but the bale provides the heads, which my cavies adore and they LOVE it!!
I think I'm going to order from the Ferret Store soon- I've been interested in alot of the products there.
take care.... :)

A

arabhorselover

Hay

They should have alfalfa hay till they are at least 6 months old. Timothy after that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.