Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Ideas?

• Thread starter AllThesePiggies
  • Start date

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Right now, I have a 2x5 with a 1x2 L-shape loft, I think. At first, I LOVED the loft because it made everything a lot cleaner. Now... it's just annoying. It makes the first level hard for me to clean, and it takes even longer for me to do a full cage cleaning. I've been thinking about taking it down and changing up the cage a little bit, especially since I've noticed my two boars have been fighting more (no blood shed, just teeth chattering, noses in the air, and rumble-strutting).

I just don't know how to change my cage. I wanted to try and make it wider, but my room is pretty small, so I wouldn't have much room to walk around. I was thinking maybe a 3x4, but again, I just don't know with my room being so small. I've been looking through the gallery for ideas, but I haven't really seen anything that would work for me.

Someone please help me with ideas! 5 grids long is the longest I could make the cage. I could add maybe another 2x2 at one end of the cage, making it an L-shape, but I'm worried it would be hard to clean. And I'm not completely dismissing the idea of a 3 wide grid cage... grr, I'm getting frustrated lol.

I seriously need some creative cage ideas!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I would make an L shape, in the 2x2 make it their kitchen. Speperate it with a choroplast lip. So 2x5 single level with a L shaped 2x2 kitchen. I hope you get what Im saying lol

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
I would make an L shape, in the 2x2 make it their kitchen. Speperate it with a choroplast lip. So 2x5 single level with a L shaped 2x2 kitchen. I hope you get what Im saying lol

Yeah, I know what you mean! I just measured, and I don't think I'll be able to fit a 2x2 after all. A 1x2 for sure, but I was kind of hoping to expand a bit larger than that haha.

chip123

Cavy Slave
from what I have heard (please don't quote me I don't have any pigs yet) one of my friends boars started fighting (nohing too serious) then as soon as she moved them to a 3x4 they stopped she said they liked being able too pass each other with out being too close to one and another but that is what I have heard from her soo that is what I am doing and also here is a pic of a 3x4 and 2x5 with 2x2 L and sorry but I couldn't fing a 2x5 with 2x2 L so this was the closest
images

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
@chip123 Thank you so much! I've heard the same thing, so that's why I really wanted to expand to a 3xsomething. And with the ramp being in the way, I'm sure that isn't helping them, either. :p I do like the idea of making an L-shape too for the kitchen area though. I wonder if I could do both? Maybe if I did some rearranging, I could make it work... hmm.

chip123

Cavy Slave
oh and sorry for taking forever to reply it is coz I was on google looking for the best pics for you lol

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
@chip123 Oh don't worry about it! I keep going to my room to measure and figure out how many grids I'd need, etc. so it's fine. lol I really appreciate your help! Thank you so much!

And that's a good idea too, but then they'd only have a 3x3 space to run around. I want to give them plenty of room to run around! Another issue is money. I have some money saved up, but I don't have a job right now. I've been applying for jobs, but haven't received a phone call yet. So I don't have a lot of money to spend right now, which sucks because my local sign shop is super expensive (had to pay like $38 for a sheet of coro large enough for a 2x5!) and I'd have to order grids online. :(

chip123

Cavy Slave
since you have a 2x5 c&c you wouldn't need any more grids:) (3+3+4+4=14 the same for a 2x5) and with the coro that is soo expensive :( im sure you would only need 1 more sheet of coro and use the coro that you already have for the 2x5 (cut 1 flap off from the long side then cut off 1 short side and make a 2x4 then do the same with the new piece of coro and join it with tape) hope you can get a job soon :) and also I don't know were you are but if you go to your closest flea market someone there mught be able to sell you some spare ( I asked just for the sake of it and the person said for a 4x8 foot piece it would onlt be $5!!!) :)

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
since you have a 2x5 c&c you wouldn't need any more grids:) (3+3+4+4=14 the same for a 2x5) and with the coro that is soo expensive :( im sure you would only need 1 more sheet of coro and use the coro that you already have for the 2x5 (cut 1 flap off from the long side then cut off 1 short side and make a 2x4 then do the same with the new piece of coro and join it with tape) hope you can get a job soon :) and also I don't know were you are but if you go to your closest flea market someone there mught be able to sell you some spare ( I asked just for the sake of it and the person said for a 4x8 foot piece it would onlt be $5!!!) :)

Oh, I forgot to mention I also have a stand! Haha so I'd need more grids for the stand as well. :) Yeah it really stinks! I think I'm just going to call them up and ask if I could buy some scraps for cheap, see what they say, since I don't need a really big one. Hmmm... I don't think there are flea markets in my area. That's so awesome! $5 is so cheap! Lucky duck haha. And thanks, I hope so too!

I was just talking with my mom, and she thinks expanding to a 3x4 would be a good idea too. Right now, I have the cage, my full-size bed, and a small 3-drawer plastic bin in my room. We think that if I clean out my closet, move my bin into the closet and put some of my clothes in there, clearing up space on my shelving unit for other miscellaneous things, we could center the cage along the wall so that I have room to move around both sides of the cage for easy cleaning. :D If that made any sense haha! And hey, with that idea, I might even make it a 3x5 instead of a 3x4 since I'd have the room!

I'm super excited now. I think that's what I'll be doing. Thank you so much for your help and all of the brainstorming!

chip123

Cavy Slave
oh also the measurements of the cage is 41"x56" if that helps anything lol

chip123

Cavy Slave
np and you room sounds just like mine lol exept I don't have a cage yet and I have a high bed which is where my cage will go oh and also the coroplast just made me a bit more annoyed coz im on vacation so I think I would be a bit hard to try and drag on a 4x8 foot piece of coro on 3 planes lol I know when I figured out I was getting a 3x4 I was soo exited as well lol

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
np and you room sounds just like mine lol exept I don't have a cage yet and I have a high bed which is where my cage will go oh and also the coroplast just made me a bit more annoyed coz im on vacation so I think I would be a bit hard to try and drag on a 4x8 foot piece of coro on 3 planes lol I know when I figured out I was getting a 3x4 I was soo exited as well lol

Lol oh my gosh, that would be so annoying! But yeah, I'm extremely jealous right now. I have a feeling it's going to cost me quite a bit for the coroplast, and then I'll also have to order more grids... ugh. Why can't things just be easy for once?! Haha. So do you have a bunk bed then? Your cage will be going on the bottom or something?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.