Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Planning Cage for 3 boy piggies

apiggymom

Cavy Slave
Recently added 2 new guinea pigs for a total of 3 boys!! Still working on the introduction, that is another post :) Currently the two new guys are in a 2x5 cage and our other guy is in a smaller store bought cage until I can figure out the best cage design. I was thinking a 2x5 would be ok but after reading on her thinking I need to go a bit bigger. My question is this, I have enough coroplast and grids to either add a 2x2 upper level kitchen, or make the cage 2x7, or perhaps add a L shape on one end? Technically I do have the room to go longer, but I'd rather not.
Thanks!!!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
If you can, I would say make it wider like 3x4. But dont add the loft if you can go bigger on floor space. The ramp takes away floor space which boars NEED. Good luck!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have 5 boys right now in a 2x8 and (knock on wood) they are doing fine together. Of course, they have lived together for many months prior to my getting them and they had lived in a medium sized rubbermaid storage tub, so this is a huge upgrade for them and that could have something to do with it, but I think it depends on the boys in question. I've had males who wouldn't tolerate living in more than a pair no matter how big I made their cage, so it's going to come down more to personalities of each individual pig than the space, with boys, anyway, but I'd think a 2x7 would be a good starting point for three, then consider making changes/additions as you need to.

bonkerzmommy13

Cavy Slave
I suggest adding the loft, it's be a great pace for them to get some alone time. You could use a ramp like the one pictured to prevent loss in space. Also, you could do those step up ramp things where you have sections of grid attached to the side and the hop up them...if that makes any sense
(broken link removed)

apiggymom

Cavy Slave

apiggymom

Cavy Slave
Ended up going with a 3x4 :) So far they seem to be enjoying it much better than the 2x5.

chip123

Cavy Slave
pictures please lol !!

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I have a 7x4 C&C cage for my 2 boys...I suppose you can never go too big!! But my boys are 4 years old and apparently "too old" to popcorn, so they mainly use their space to sleep, eat, and poop. Haha.. lol

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I have 3 boars in a 2x7.

apiggymom

Cavy Slave
I do have enough grids left over to extend it to a 3x5. Just need to make my fleece bigger. That may be a project for this weekend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.