Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Piper's Fleece floored "Summer House"

GuineaBaby

Cavy Slave
We have moved off our boat for the rest of the summer, so I had to build Piper's "summer home". Finding coroplast in our rural area proved quite difficult. I did manage to pinch one sheet off of a friend who had it left over from sign making. In my workshop, I found 3 coroplast "no parking" signs from who knows where, but they were the perfect (and I do mean perfect) size for the base of a cage I got years ago for baby chicks. In the garage I found 1 Uhaul blanket (yea!). I took the 3 no parking signs, the UHaul blanket and some new fleece (purchased at Marden's for $3.99/yd) and made fleece flippers for the cage base. I added the coroplast kitchen area to the end of the cage to extend the setup and duct taped coroplast scraps together to make another fleece flipper for that area. I brought the loft up from the boat for the summer. I'm pretty please how the whole cage came out considering I had to scrounge for all the parts! The cage isn't as large as I would like, but I will be collecting supplies so that I can rebuild her cage bigger and better when we return to our house next summer.

When we move back onto the boat in September, I will will be incorporating fleece into her cage there. I am so DONE with Carefresh!
DSC_0070.jpgDSC_0072.jpgDSC_0074.jpgDSC_0076.jpg

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
Awe looks really awesome and your piggy looks happy and adorable :) good job with being creative! Love it! Also love mardens too:)

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
This is amazing! I'm so happy for your pig, but have you considered getting her a friend?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Looks good! How big is the gap between the tub/thing and the side? May be problematic if she gets her paws caught.

GuineaBaby

Cavy Slave
Coughingcolors,
Getting Piper a friend is something we do think about, but when we are living on our boat, space is limited, so I don't think it would be a good idea. I'd rather Piper have the space she does have all to herself. My kids are homeschooled and are able to give Piper loads of attention. When we are cruising, we are on the boat ALL day, so Piper is never alone, 24-7. There will come a time when we will be done with the live-aboard lifestyle and hope to introduce another guinea pig into our family as long as Piper is willing!

Lasinalia,
There is a gap, but it's pretty big, so her leg can't get stuck. Probably more of an issue of her getting herself between the tub and the grids. So far, she hasn't shown any interest in exploring the sides of her cage. Your point is a good one though and I'll figure out a way to fill it. TX!

Last edited:

GuineaBaby

Cavy Slave
Hey, all! I would appreciate any ideas on how to enrich her space. She likes sitting on her rock on warmer days, it's nice and cool! My daughter has different box houses she swaps out. I'm going to make a fleece forest under her loft. Should I put strips just around the outside edge or under the whole thing?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Use a grid and cut a strip of fleece so that it takes up half the grid and touches the floor when hanging off on both ends (two strips to take up the whole grid). Then cut it into strips and feed thru holes on top so it touches the floor but NOT all the way through to have a million tiny strips. That way it maintains enough body you can toss it in the wash with no problem. If you search for fleece forest on the general tab it will give you a lot of different ideas and how-to's. :)

My piggies loved it when I cut a toilet paper tube into about five rings that were 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick, stuck a small tomato into one and formed a ball around it (by putting ring around ring around ring). Leave enough gaps so they can see and smell the tomato and then they have to tear the "ball" open. :) Depending on how smart your piggerts are, they will enjoy lots of those "games" of "hide the food" or "treasure hunt".

Luck!

Sunny

Cavy Slave
It looks great!

I make my fleece forests different from most people, but my pigs really like mine. It is more of an actual hidey which is nice, but the "original" forests are more aesthetically pleasing.

I cut fleece into six square pieces, 14" by 14". I save one piece the way it is, the others I cut into strips, leaving a couple of inches at the top, like a fringe. I hang four pieces by framing a grid, making a 1X1 area. Then I get the other fringed piece and hang it in the middle of the grid. The last piece I put on top to make it more dark.

I know that doesn't make much sense. LOL. I don't think a picture will help much, but this is how mine look. The girls' is sagging, which I need to fix. Theirs is actually one fleece forest, with a corner curtain and an extra fringe piece in front of it. This makes it big enough for two piggerts!

Attachments

012.jpg

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are very social heard animals, and crave companionship of the own kind, humans cannot replace this. You have the space to house two sows, as the minimum for 2 is 2x4.

GuineaBaby

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are very social heard animals, and crave companionship of the own kind, humans cannot replace this. You have the space to house two sows, as the minimum for 2 is 2x4.

The cage on our boat is on the smaller size, though Piper does get to run around the boat often. That's what has been concerning me.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Is there anyway what you could expand the boat cage? And how small is it? (cubes or sq ft) And why can't you just use this cage on the boat?

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I posted on that as well, but there might be enough room there. Is there any way you could measure the ground space?

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I also understand how limited space on a boat can be, but there are a lot of different options for expanding, and especially if you were to introduce them asap, they will have time to bond before being transferred.

rainbowwriter77

Cavy Slave
I think it looks great. Nice scavenger skills!

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I had one pig for only a couple weeks. Honestly there is hardly a cost difference to owning a pair. Not to mention that Piper would be so much happier with someone to run, play, talk, and snuggle with. Guinea pigs are more social, active, and secure with a friend (and just more fun to watch!). That is priceless and irreplaceable. She's a heard animal, please don't force her to live alone. It's just not fair..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.