Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching *NEED DEFINITE ANSWERS* Does piggie have mites or not?

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
The only symptom I have seen was a lot of scratching. NO hair loss, blood flow, scabs, or patchy skin. I'm going to buy this product : (broken link removed) if I know FOR SURE if my guinea pig has mites. I do not want to treat something he doesn't have. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS!

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
There isn't really a way for us to say for sure if he/she has mites, so you might just have to take him/her to a vet. I don't see any problem in treating anyways, though. How often is s/he scratching? A few times a day is normal.

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
The only "FOR SURE" way to know, is the diagnosis of a veterinarian.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Unless you want to wait for it to be shipped from the UK, I wouldn't buy that. It's not a particularly good product for mites as it isn't considered strong enough to kill them. You also need more than one box, so it's not the cheap product it looks like it is. I'd order this instead: (broken link removed). It's easy to use, and will do the trick.

There's no way to know for sure that he has mites. They burrow under the skin and are invisible -- the only symptom is scratching, or hair loss if the scratching has been going on long enough. But it won't hurt to treat him with the ivermectin even if the problem isn't mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.