PDA

View Full Version : I emailed Ebay buyers not to buy

pennick
08-25-05, 11:11 am
I went on to ebay and looked up cages and decided to email all the bidders and history of bidders to let them know about this site and please do not purchase a pet store cage. What are your thoughts on this and do you think it's okay that I did this. I should have asked first. I don't want to get into any type of trouble.

TheMadWheeker
08-25-05, 11:32 am
I dont see anything wrong with informing people that the store type cages arent appropriate. Maybe you should also email the sellers and tell them the truth and that they should rather buy the supplies for C&C's in bulk and make kits and resell them for those that dont want to bother with the measuring and find of supplies. I have been contemplating this myself buying sheets of coroplast and kits of grids and making C&C's to order as they are easy enough to make.

C&R5567
08-25-05, 12:27 pm
The bidders can report you to ebay, including the seller stating that you are interfering and you can be banned from ebay. It would serve you well to read ebay's rules and regulations. You went too far.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a store bought cage if that's what you can afford and if that's what you want. Of course most of us want the best for our companions.

Last and most important, don't buy a cage from any pet store that sells animals, that's the rule of thumb.

VoodooJoint
08-25-05, 12:34 pm
Also, there's nothing wrong with a store bought cage if that's what you can afford and if that's what you want. Of course most of us want the best for our companions.Actually there are problems with store bought cages. They are too small for GPs and building a C&C cage costs less then buying a large GP cage from a petstore so the afforbability thing doesn't work.

The only time a store bought cage may work is if the GPs had freedom to leave their cage into a large, safe area whenever they wanted for exercize or enrichment.

C&R5567
08-25-05, 12:41 pm
Actually there are problems with store bought cages. They are too small for GPs and building a C&C cage costs less then buying a large GP cage from a petstore so the afforbability thing doesn't work.

The only time a store bought cage may work is if the GPs had freedom to leave their cage into a large, safe area whenever they wanted for exercize or enrichment.

I won't argue your point, as I basically agree when I said we want the best. But I've seen and I own quite a fancy and quite nice store bought cage for our little guy. But I'm surely not the expert here. So your point is duly noted, VDJ. :)

But the point is did this person cross the line at ebay and the answer is yes. It is called Manipulation on ebay, interfering with user's listings and transactions. The intention was noble but the action taken was not.

And hey, one day if I can, perhaps I'll get into the c&c cage. If I can make more space. :)

VoodooJoint
08-25-05, 12:46 pm
Oh, yeah. I forgot to address the Ebay thing. Yes, you could get kicked off Ebay so if you care about your user name you should stop.

People have been known to start new user names though, and use the new names to conduct their activities...not that I'm condoning anything;)

daftscotslass
08-25-05, 12:51 pm
It is called auction interference and against the rules. If you get banned and re-register you stand the chance of being banned again.

I don't think it's the best way to promote this site and could get you, and more, into trouble. It might have been best to have spoken to CavySpirit first.

C&R5567
08-25-05, 01:04 pm
Oh, yeah. I forgot to address the Ebay thing. Yes, you could get kicked off Ebay so if you care about your user name you should stop.

People have been known to start new user names though, and use the new names to conduct their activities...not that I'm condoning anything;)

You are so bad, VDJ. ;)

pennick
08-25-05, 01:15 pm
Thank you. I will stop. Like I said I sometimes stick my foot into my mouth. I act before thinking and I did just that. One person did email me back though and explained how she is a rescuer and volunteer and needed the cage just for emergencies. That was nice of her. She actually thanked me. But I wouldn't want anything negative to affect this site so I will behave. I keep editing my post. But then again I do have a few User ID names and I wouldnt mind if one of them was kicked off. I'll see.

piggiepigs
08-25-05, 02:16 pm
Actually there are problems with store bought cages. They are too small for GPs and building a C&C cage costs less then buying a large GP cage from a petstore so the afforbability thing doesn't work.

Mine cost me £70 to build (approx $120)!!!

But compared to the shop bought ones here it is a palace!

And my boyfriend is now annoying me by waffling on about pounds and dollars in the background, help!!!

Sabriel
08-25-05, 02:32 pm
Some people could be buying store bought cages for a legit purpose. My store bought cage makes a fine towel rack that I can lock and keep the cats from sitting on my towels. I don't have a cupboard in my bathroom and needed to do something with my small cage as I wanted to keep it just in case.

aqh88
08-25-05, 06:50 pm
Still love the towel rack idea lol
I think about all they'd do is delete your account. Maybe if you owned the forum and were promoting your own forum you could get in more trouble but the owner of a forum can't be responsible for each individual person unless it's content posted on their site. Information does seem to be spreading though. The past 3 weeks at walmart all the softwood and aspen bedding have been completely sold out. I've had to buy 1 bag at a time cause that's all they have left. The cedar stack hasn't changed by more than 1 bag, the pine stack has gone down about 1/4th, and the kiln dried pine went down by about 3/4ths. They even stopped selling giant bags of cedar and non kiln dried pine because noone buys them. When I went in there 2 months ago the whole place was filled with giant cedar bags and I couldn't breathe. I had to send my sister down the aisle to find hamster food and suitable bedding. The junk treats and food have also sat on the shelves alot. It looks like majority of the small pet owners are getting more informed.

pennick
08-26-05, 06:49 am
Here is a email sent to me buy a potential buyer on ebay:

wow, thank you so much for caring. I do appreciate it. I was going to put a Hedgehog in it. But now i will not be doing that thanks to your help. :)

So maybe it was a good idea after all.

C&R5567
08-26-05, 07:28 am
This is the last I'll say on this subject.

Ebay's "Your User Agreement", Section 5.5 states:
Manipulation. Neither you, bidders nor sellers may manipulate the price of any item nor may you interfere with other user's listings or transactions.

Transaction Interference.
Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Limits on account privileges
Account suspension
Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Loss of PowerSeller status

So I submit to your honest nature, is violating the rules a good idea if you get what you want? Would you do the same to this website? Ebay users are urged to report actions such as yours. You got lucky, my friend.

This is what eBay's policy on what to do;

If you have a problem with a transaction, please use the feedback forum and review our Fraud Protection Program.

pennick
08-26-05, 08:33 am
This is the last I'll say on this subject.

Ebay's "Your User Agreement", Section 5.5 states:
Manipulation. Neither you, bidders nor sellers may manipulate the price of any item nor may you interfere with other user's listings or transactions.

Transaction Interference.
Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Limits on account privileges
Account suspension
Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Loss of PowerSeller status

So I submit to your honest nature, is violating the rules a good idea if you get what you want? Would you do the same to this website? Ebay users are urged to report actions such as yours. You got lucky, my friend.

This is what eBay's policy on what to do;

If you have a problem with a transaction, please use the feedback forum and review our Fraud Protection Program.

Thank you for taking the time out to point this all out to me. I will refrain from contacting anyone again. I did not bother to read the agreement. I will be a good girl from now on.

Wildjem
08-26-05, 01:04 pm
I admire you for taking all of that time to do that, Pennick, and hope that you don't see any negative repercussions because of your animal loving actions. At least you know there will be a happier hedgehog because of what you did!