Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage dimensions for two pigs

MNGuinea

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping to get two guinea pigs. A 2x3 cage (14 inch pieces, so it's 8 SQ feet) would fit the space I have, but that's just large enough for two pigs. I dont have room for a 2x3 but I may be able to make a 3x3.

Will just having a 2x3 cage be alright for two guinea pigs? (I could maybe add a loft. See below)
Would a 3x3 cage work? Or would it be better to have a long cage?

If I added a loft to a 2x3 cage would that be sufficient?

Last edited:

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A 2x3 could be okay for female pigs, but males usually need a 2x4 or larger. A 3x3 would be good as it is actually more sq ft than a 2x4. Generally wider cages (3 or more grids wide) are better for male pigs as they have plenty of room to pass by each other.

lissie

Cavy Slave
A 3x3 is bigger than 2x3, and will work better for the pigs. If you have space for 3x3, go for it.

MNGuinea

Cavy Slave
I need some more answers please. Would a 2x3 (28 by 42) cage with the possibility of a loft/second level be enough for two female guinea pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lofts don't really help with space. Pigs can get trapped in a loft, on one pig can block the ramp so the other one can't go up. They need room to move around.

If you click on the MAIN tab at the top of this page, you'll find recommended cage sizes. A 2x3 is the smallest recommended for one pig, and the cage really should be bigger for two. Look through the photo galleries and you'll find some creative ways of using space for cages. I'd go for at least a 2x4, or preferably, a 3x3.

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
I personally would go with a 3x3. It gives your pigs more room to move around, and more importantly, more room to get away from each other. A 2x3 would by definition be okay, but there's a lot less of a chance of a fight with more space, and it will bring out your pigs' personalities.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I need some more answers please. Would a 2x3 (28 by 42) cage with the possibility of a loft/second level be enough for two female guinea pigs?

quick answer to your question: yes. It will be fine.
A loft doesn't count as floor space. Actually, if anything, takes away floorspace because of the ramp. But you will need to provide floor time as much as possible ( preferably almost every day ) because hat is literally the bare bare minimum for a two female piggies.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave

Yes, but if possible don't put the ramp along the side. Put it in the middle so that the pigs can do laps around it! Or have a ramp attatched to the outside of your cage: see link below.

If all else fails, you can get away with a single leveled cage, but I like the look of a multi level better anyways; personal preference.

-rsgymjam

Here is the link: (broken link removed)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You could also do a double stacked cage with a 2x3 over a 2x3. You do drop down fronts and slide out the trays for cleaning.

I personally don't agree that lofts don't count as space or that they take up space, because the space of the ramp is a lot less than the space of hideys/hay racks/litter boxes etc. And you can integrate the ramp into a hiding spot by adding a cave/step with a bent grid, which also helps make the ramp less steep. So now it is not taking up any more room than any other hide.

If your pigs both use the ramp, which is also good for exercise, and like PP said you put the ramp in the middle because they can do laps around the ramp then you free up the lower level for running. Then you can make the top a kitchen and leave the bottom uncluttered for running.(Of course that is is assuming your pigs will use the ramp, because some wont).

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.