Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Plexiglass?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Hi ^^ I was curious if plexiglass could be used instead of coroplast? im curious because of lissies post in here, I think its amazing! I would like to build this one..Any tips or ideas on how I could build this with the help of answering my question of plexiglass? Thanks in advance :D

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave

lissie

Cavy Slave
The cage in the design uses coroplast as the base. The plexiglass is only for part of the side wall and the front wall. It would be very expensive if you use plexiglass for the whole base. A 4x8 ft. sheet of coroplast is about $10 - $20, a 4x8 ft. sheet of plexiglass is more than $100.

Here's a drawing how you can attach plexiglass to the coroplast base by using zip ties. You can drill holes in the plexiglass, about 6 inches apart.

momo_new_stacked_cage_2.jpg

momo_new_stacked_cage_3.jpg

momo_new_stacked_cage_4.jpg

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
muah! that's what I was so curious about! I was like *how do you put it in there D; * but you answered my question :D thank you so much, I want to build this cage so much for my boys :D

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
I was looking at this today, and I recently thought, wouldn't the piggies chew the zip ties that were inside the cage? if you look on the 2nd picture, you can see how the zip ties goes inside the cage, after being through the holes from the plexiglass.. sorry for opening this thread back up x.x...

lissie

Cavy Slave
Mine don't really chew the zip ties. If you're worried, you can block off with something in the corner. The ones on the bottom would be low enough for fleece or other bedding to cover them.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
You're so fast with replying c: Thanks so much ^^ Im gonna try my best on this, any idea on how many grids this takes? *stand not included* Im gonna look around for something to place it on, ^^'' thank again!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're so fast with replying c: Thanks so much ^^
You're welcome!

Im gonna try my best on this, any idea on how many grids this takes? *stand not included* Im gonna look around for something to place it on, ^^'' thank again!
How many levels are you planning to build? Note that the pictures do not show grids in the front, but you'll probably need them if you have pigs who like to escape. The cage in the drawing is 2x5, so you'll need 14 grids.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
You're welcome!

How many levels are you planning to build? Note that the pictures do not show grids in the front, but you'll probably need them if you have pigs who like to escape. The cage in the drawing is 2x5, so you'll need 14 grids.

Im planning on making it a 2x6, with just one level, or well.. I don't think a 2x2 loft counts as a level lol ^^'' so it being a 2x6 with 2x2 loft, I would like each of them to have a bottom made out of grids, how many grids would that be? ^^'' Also, my piggies arnt very Indiana jones like, so I don't think ill have anything to worry about c:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Okay, let's see.
Bottom for 2x6 would be 12 grids
+ sides 2+2+6+6 = 16 grids
Bottom for 2x2 would be 4 grids
+ sides 2+2+2+2 = 8 grids
Total 40 grids.

Get extra ones for the ramp.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Okay, let's see.
Bottom for 2x6 would be 12 grids
+ sides 2+2+6+6 = 16 grids
Bottom for 2x2 would be 4 grids
+ sides 2+2+2+2 = 8 grids
Total 40 grids.

Get extra ones for the ramp.
Thanks ^^ Apperently im going to need a lot.. *~* lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.