Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Larger herds, minimum requirements?

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
What are the minimum requirements for cage sizes for larger groups of pigs? Main page only shows up to 4. I plan to put all of mine (7) together eventually. Herd (4) is in a 3x5 and the other herd (3) is in a 3x3. Just wondering what the SQUARE FOOTAGE was for seven? I don't want 2x7, etc, just the square footage :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Larger herds, minimum requirements?
SIZE: Provide as large a cage as possible. Guineapigcages.com makes a compelling case for providing 7 square feet for one cavy, adding 2 to 4 square feet per additional cavy and offers creative, attractive, and affordable ways to do so. Visit Guineapigcages.com for plans and designs. A larger cage will require less frequent cleaning and provide space for play, toys and exercise. Many pet owners report happily popcorning pigs when introduced to their new, spacious living quarters. And more space makes "getting along" easier for multiple pig households.**

https://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

I also remember reading about adding an extra grid per pig beyond the four pig in the 2x6. Also remember wider is better over longer.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you start at 7 sq feet for the first pig and add the 24 sq feet for the other 6, that will be 31 sq feet. Keep in mind, I used 4 sq feet after the first. The add 2 per pig would be 19 sq feet for 7 pigs.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Thanks @lunarminx :) If I combined the 3x5 and 3x3 (making it a 3x8) it'd give them 32.6 square feet. Or possibly go with a 3x7 giving them 28.58 square feet. Would either be okay?? They're in suitable cages ATM, correct? Four are in a 3x5 which is 20.41 square feet and three are in a 3x3 which is 12.25 square feet. The three consists of two 4 week old babies and a special needs 5 month old, which is why they're in a smaller cage right now. Thanks again hun :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Either should be fine. I wish I had the room you do, to make such a huge cage.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For 7 pigs, really the biggest you can go would be best so the 3x8.

I have my herd of 6 and they have a 3x7 with a added 1x3 on the side making it kinda like a 3x5 with a 2x4....I'm debating if I should make it a 4x7 because well I can...haha.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx, I have an unused wall in our living room so I can go as big as a 3x9. But I do believe the hubs would call me crazy!! lol Our entire family thinks we're crazy for having so many and his grandma thinks we should pair up the pigs and put them in separate cages on top of each other (basically like 4-2x4 stacked...) and I'd rather have them all in one big cage. So that's what I'm doing ;) @RodentCuddles, I am jealous. I wish I could go 4 deep lol But I would seriously need to add another bedroom on just for the piggies if that were the case ;) I can only go long, no L shapes or anything for now. So either a 3x7 or 3x8 would work. I may try a 3x7 with a big loft up top, neither have lofts at the moment but when they did have one, three of them would go up there. So maybe a 3x7 with a 2x4 loft or something?!

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Sounds like some spoiled piggies and a great set up plan :D

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Sounds like some spoiled piggies and a great set up plan :D

Thank you. They're definitely a bunch of spoiled piggies. Let me know if I'm running behind schedule for their veggies or when their hay racks are low and especially if they want some cuddles lol They're super cute and fun though :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.