Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggies Died!!

newpiggielover

Cavy Slave
I am very sad and confused we have had 9 piggies for some time now and today 3 just died. They have been fine eating and running around and doing there squeaking. This mourning my kids said they were running around during feeding time then a couple hours 2 were laying next to each other dead. Me and my son buried them and I figured it was all done. Well when my husband came home and checked on them one was barely moving so he separated her from the rest and when I got home to check on her she was already gone!:weepy: I have no clue as to what went wrong. We have 5 piggies left and they all SEEM fine but i'm worried we will lose them all. I know the best thing to do is get them to a vet but its $70 for each pig just to be seen and they want it up front I just don't have $350 right now. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Should we expect them all to die? Did we do something wrong? Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it!
Tiffany

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry. You probably should have done a necropy on them to find out why they died, and if it is contagious.

Are they indoors? Have they been outside lately? Are the guinea pigs related?

What are their ages? What is their diet?

Do you weigh them every week? And examine them yourself?

Vet visit seems in order. They need a yearly check up. It is best to save up money for medical bills. It's part of being a pet owner.

crazy_4_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, I know how heartbreaking it can be! There are many questions you must ask, but three in one day is very odd,would it be something they ate or drank.? The three who died where they together? were they older guinea pigs? I know vets are expensive, I would have one of the dead guinea pigs tested, to find out what it may have died of.. possibly the one who died later to find out what happened, vets are expensive but isn't the life of your piggies worth it? Have one of the deceased ones tested. It may have been something they ate maybe food had pesticides on it or even the drinking water . If you want to save the others please have the passed ones tested it could be something that can be treated in the others and try to think back and see if their is anything that may be the cause in the three.. the sooner the better! Good Luck and keep us posted! :sad:
newpiggielover said:
I am very sad and confused we have had 9 piggies for some time now and today 3 just died. They have been fine eating and running around and doing there squeaking. This mourning my kids said they were running around during feeding time then a couple hours 2 were laying next to each other dead. Me and my son buried them and I figured it was all done. Well when my husband came home and checked on them one was barely moving so he separated her from the rest and when I got home to check on her she was already gone!:weepy: I have no clue as to what went wrong. We have 5 piggies left and they all SEEM fine but i'm worried we will lose them all. I know the best thing to do is get them to a vet but its $70 for each pig just to be seen and they want it up front I just don't have $350 right now. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Should we expect them all to die? Did we do something wrong? Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it!
Tiffany

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Aww no, three in one day?:guilty: I would get at least one guinea pig you still have alive checked as it could be something they can catch. If one has it, the rest will if it is catchable. I'm so sorry about that:important

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about your pigs! That's so sad.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear about your losses. It must be hard losing 3 in one day. I would get at least one pig checked out at the vets if I were you. That way, you may be able to get some idea of whether the pigs have some kind of illness circulating. My thoughts are with you.

happie gurl

Cavy Slave
Oh, my...that must be horrible to go through! So many loved ones at the same time.
Aww I hope it is not a contagiuos thing, and I'm so sad to hear about your guinea's. I'm shure all of them were very loved and had a nice, happy, full life.

wish you the best - lanette

pennick

Cavy Slave
It sounds like poisoning to me. You don't say where your piggies were running around. You don't give us enough information. I agree with everyone here. If you want to save your other piggies it's very important to find out why they died. There may be something that you are not aware of laying in reach of your piggies to make them sick. Find out how much it would cost to have your dead piggy tested.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Many vets do a group rate. Ask you vet how much a check up for 5 pigs costs as opposed to one.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
*Gives a couple billion hugs* I'm so sorry you lost your piggies :(

ANd it does sound like poisoning.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
A necropsy (or 3) would have been your best bet to find out what is happening. If another dies please get a necropsy (animal autopsy) done.

Get at least one GP to the vet for a full check-up. It would be best to get them all in but if you can't then pick the one you would most suspect is possibly ill and get a full work-up.

Last edited:

Alistua

Cavy Slave
Get at least one of them in to find out what is going on. It is all part of being a responsible pet owner.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your lose. It is much harder when it is more than one. I hope the other piggies sre okay.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry! That is horrible. I know that I would feel awful. It hurt when my boys died (a long time ago). I would change all their food w/fresh, change hay, disinfect the whole cage (water bottles, toys, hidy houses), wash all cozies/fleece. I think that would be a good thing to start with. Then, I would seperate out any "sick" looking ones. Also, if one looks sick, take just that one to the vet, and have it checked. Better safe then sorry. My prayers are with your other pigs. :0)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.