Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Narrow Loft or Wide Loft?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I'm debating of putting a loft but don't know which size between the two? Narrow Loft (1x1) or Wide Loft (2x2)

What is the purpose of the loft to begin with? My Guinea pig ages are 2 or 3 years old (rescue piggie), 9 month old, and probably 4 month old.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Could you manage a 1x2 loft? They would just make it easier with so many pigs. Lofts are just another view for the pigs, and it can be made into a kitchen area, so the main level is left for running and sleeping.

chip123

Cavy Slave
I would say a 2x2 would be better but really am not sure what the purpose of them are some people use them as a kitchen area so some of the hay and other mess doesn't go all over the main fleece area

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Remember there will be times when all four pigs will want to be in there at the same time.

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A bigger loft would be a definite yes!! I have 2 boars and they love their big loft.

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
I bought a cage from this website and it had a 2x2 loft. It was incredibly difficult to clean and lay down the fleece again. I physically had to get into the cage, lay down like an army crawl, and wipe the cage with vinegar (up close which was smelly). It seriously took me about 20 minutes longer to clean. Unless you have fleece flippers, I think you should keep that in mind.A 1x2 or 1x1 won't be so hard to clean, although, still more difficult without a loft. If you don't mind the cleaning, your pigs will love a loft but, I would personally get a 1x2 minimum because you do have more than one pig and there may be times when they all want to be upstairs at once -- especially if you make it a kitchen. Also, keep in mind your older pigs might not want to climb up the ramp. My older (3 yrs) boar didn't climb up the ramp at all, no matter what I did. A lofts purpose can be many different things -- a kitchen, a place for younger pigs to escape if bickering with the older ones, or to hang a fleece curtain from it for an extra hidey. I've seen many different users on here make their lofts into many different things. I suggest browsing the photos on this site and go into the loft section. :)Good luck!

natsmom26

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have an L shaped loft on my 2x4. The girls love running up and down the ramp and it is so much easier to fill their pellets and hay if the kitchen is on the top. The dimensions make it relatively easy to still clean the cage, though.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
My herd's old cage had a 2x2 on it. 4 girls in a 2x5 and only two of them ever went up there. Since making their 3x5, I have not added a loft. I plan to make a 2x3 loft area for them eventually. Like the bottom portion, the bigger the better :)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for everybody's input. I have been looking at the pictures and i do like the idea of a 1x2 loft.

I ended up putting a 2x2 on it and I had a hard time spot cleaning below the loft and I put a 1x1 but didn't really see any advantage to it so I will be doing the L shape loft.

I only have 3 sows.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
spy9doc's loft is the best idea actually. A 2x2 loft is a pain to clean under unless you use wonder bars and just set the coroplast on it, that way you just lift it off but the pigs can still hide under it.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Could you use dowels? That would be better so you wouldn't have to deal with a support cube to have to clean under. A 1/2 inch would be fine.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x2 loft on a 2x5 cage and the loft has become their penthouse apartment. They absolutely love it! The entire loft section of the cage sits back in a space between my desk and the wall. My solution was to create an offset loft with the overhang back in the corner that would otherwise have been wasted space. It is no more difficult to clean than the previous 1x2 loft.

I found that a 1x2 was too small for two cavies at once. And, they seem to want to both use the litter box or eat pellets or hay at once. Now there's lots of room with a medium-size litter box, hay rack, water bottle, pellet dish.........AND a cardboard hidey.

Here's a graphic of the way my cage is presently constructed (but with a different grid stand):

I love that cage, do you possibly know measurements, how many grids it would take? Because I love that *o*

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Thank you.......I love it too!

One note about my cage vs. the graphic......I constructed a grid stand that is entirely independent of the cage structure to make the whole setup super sturdy. It is, indeed, sturdy as the cage will easily support both me and the piggies. If your construction is super tight, you won't need the three supporting grids for the overhang of the loft.

My loft is only six grid squares high vs. the usual nine because I felt that the sides of the loft didn't need the entire grid length. I cut the grids and filed the rough edges with a Dremel. The cage looks more esthetic and fits beautifully into the available space......tightly sandwiched between my desk and the wall. In fact, their hay rack is almost adjacent to my printer and they don't bat an eye when it is busy at work.

Also, note that I cut a doorway in a grid for the ramp. That kept the structural integrity of both the grid AND the loft.

The main page of this website lists a 2x5 as being 27" x 71" in grids; the loft is 27" x 27". If my calculations are correct, I have 37 grids in the cage and +/- 30 grids in the stand. You could, of course, use far fewer grids in the stand if you wish. Again, I wanted the structure to be uber sturdy, and my next project is to put wheels on the cage so that I can move it out for a thorough cleaning under it.

The pics below are of the doorway for the ramp, and the cage stand before it was zip-tied to the cage. You'll note that the stand in the pic is only for a 2x4 cage. I just attached another section to the outermost (right) end of the stand when I enlarged the cage. Canvas bins are available in lots of stores......I think mine came from Target.
Oooh I see :D
Thank you so much! I plan to make this, is it possible for you to send me pictures the the loft and how its supportted?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
OK........here's the next installment. I did some research for you and found some of the pics I wanted to show.

Here is a link to a thread......one where people literally let their imaginations run wild in using Google Sketchup to create cage designs:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/53606-Cage-Designs-Plans/page20?highlight=offset+loft

Pics showing ways of supporting a loft or multiple levels...including an offset loft with angled grid support:

Here's a very clever use of a 2x4 cage design:

Thank you! this has given me some great ideas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.