PDA

View Full Version : Ramps Hi everyone!

Mumford0624
07-22-13, 10:55 pm
First, let me say that I'm actually not a guinea pig owner, I own a hedgehog named Mumford. However, I'm looking to build him a double decker C&C cage and I saw some AWESOME ramps on this forum during my google search that I could use some advice for. Not many people build double decker cages in the hedgehog world but they need to have covered ramps just like many of the guinea pig ramps I saw had.

I wanted to know the best way to go about bending the cubes. Is there an easy way to do so? Should I heat them up first?

Any advice you could bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

YourSoJelly
07-22-13, 11:17 pm
Hello and welcome! You should TOTALLY post pictures of your little guy!

To bend a grid(the skinny bars should be on top of the fat outer rims), just step where you want it(WEAR SHOES!!!), then pull up. It's easy peasy, no heat, just a little muscle!

Pawesomepet
07-22-13, 11:17 pm
I usually put the grids on the floor hold one side with my foot with a shoe on and then bend it by pulling the other side with my hand.. I then find once I've got it bent I can shape it better! Someone else on here may have a better way but this is the way I do it because they are so hard to bend! I'm not sure how everyone else bends their grids.

Mumford0624
07-23-13, 12:16 am
Awesome, thank you! That's what I had kinda gathered from the pictures but I wasn't sure if that was right.

YourSoJelly, I'll totally post pictures of him for ya! He's a handsome fella :) I've had him about 3.5 months or so now, he just turned 5 months old. For his cage, I've got a 2x1 bottom with a 1x1 top. Ideally I was going to make a 2x2 top as well but I am one cube shy. :( I'd hate to go buy a complete set just for one cube so for now, 1x2 is gonna have to work. I'll have to just keep his wheel on the top or maybe just keep his food on the top. I haven't decided yet, heh.

Mumford0624
07-23-13, 12:20 am
Thanks! Do you know how people get them so squared off? I found one that I LOVE- it's in the ramp section, someone built the ramp on the outside of the cage so they don't take up room for the inside of the cage and the person made the edges what looks to be a really nice 90 degree angle.

One other question- do the squares break easily when you're bending?

YourSoJelly
07-23-13, 12:33 am
@Mumford0624 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28663) , I'm sorry. Your hedgehog is not allowed on here. HE IS TOO CUTE!!! I am going to have to steal him! lol

When I bent the grids, I moved slowly, and nothing broke, or snapped, or chipped. Best of luck to you and your little guy!

I may have to private message you about hedgehogs and hedgehog care! I want a mouse/hedgehog/rat, and a rat is totally out of the question(mom has rat issues), a mouse is 99.9% out of the question(again…mom), and a hedgie is possibly 90%out of the question! :D You mentioned something about a hedgehog forum, what was that? Thank you so much!

One more question: Is it legal for Mumford to be that cute?!

Mumford0624
07-23-13, 12:57 am
Awww, thank you! :) You can't steal him but you can borrow him :)

Ask away! I can answer most questions you have. Yep, there's a hedgehog forum called http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/ but there's also a good facebook group that I really enjoy (more so than the HHC forum site).

They're really fun pets. They're kind of expensive (150-300 depending on where you get them) and their original cost for supplies is also sort of expensive. A lot of people use C&C cages or 112qt. Sterilite containers (those run about 13 bucks at Target). They do require heat though- they have to be kept above 72 degrees or they attempt hibernation which will kill them if they're not brought out of it. Because of that, they require either a thermostat & Ceramic Heat Emitter or a space heater of some kind. Once that's all purchased though, they're pretty "cheap" pets. More than a mouse/rat but generally less than a dog or a cat. They're actually probably around the same price as a guinea pig to maintain. They eat high quality cat food- high protein, low fat, a pretty wide variety of fruits & veggies and they are insectivores at heart so they do like things like meal worms, crickets, etc. Those are mainly given as treats though because they can be pretty high in fat. They also have to have a wheel to run in, which must be a solid based wheel. Either a Flying Saucer or a bucket wheel (there's several home based companies that make those) are best recommended. They are also nocturnal but they're pretty quiet. The bedding they use is fleece, generally. You can use kiln dried aspen bedding but that has a higher risk of mites and it can get messy and it's harder to clean.

Hmm.. I'm trying to think of other things to add. If you have any questions, ask away!

UchihaMickey
07-23-13, 01:54 pm
I usually put the grids on the floor hold one side with my foot with a shoe on and then bend it by pulling the other side with my hand.. I then find once I've got it bent I can shape it better! Someone else on here may have a better way but this is the way I do it because they are so hard to bend! I'm not sure how everyone else bends their grids.

LOL that's how I do it XD

UchihaMickey
07-23-13, 01:56 pm
Awesome, thank you! That's what I had kinda gathered from the pictures but I wasn't sure if that was right.

YourSoJelly, I'll totally post pictures of him for ya! He's a handsome fella :) I've had him about 3.5 months or so now, he just turned 5 months old. For his cage, I've got a 2x1 bottom with a 1x1 top. Ideally I was going to make a 2x2 top as well but I am one cube shy. :( I'd hate to go buy a complete set just for one cube so for now, 1x2 is gonna have to work. I'll have to just keep his wheel on the top or maybe just keep his food on the top. I haven't decided yet, heh.

omg so cute *~*..

Pawesomepet
07-23-13, 04:27 pm
LOL that's how I do it XD

lol I was hoping I wasn't the only one! :D

GoldieBrodiexx
07-23-13, 04:36 pm
That hedgehog is UNFAIRLY cute!! I may have to hognap him!!

Mumford0624
07-24-13, 12:37 am
Hahaha! Thank you everyone!

Borrow, sure. Hognap, please no. I'll train him to poke you :)