Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anxious first time momma for two slightly special needs pigs...

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am a brand new, first time guardian for a pair of young guinea pigs. While they did kind of fall into my lap, the decision to take them in has NOT been a rash one... I've been working in a veterinary hospital for several years as a receptionist, and I am fortunate enough to work with two veterinarians who see exotics... including precious little piggies. With all the pigs we've treated over the years for a certain pet store, I have found myself longing to have one of my own.

About two months ago, a young brindle colored pig was brought into us very sick. He had a horrible head tilt, was walking in circles, not eating, very lethargic and dehydrated, and we soon found that he had come down with pneumonia. We didn't think he would make it. The vet gave him a vitamin C injection, fluids and antibiotics and after syringe feeding him, I found myself doing my closing duties with the little guy cuddled up on my chest, shivering and purring. I fell in love. HARD. For the next few days, I was syringe feeding him and giving him his medications, and despite the bleak prognosis, the little guy pulled through and recovered with nothing but a slight head tilt, that he will probably have all his life.

Since I decided to try to take him home, I have spent hours perusing the internet, and this site especially, learning all I could about Guinea Pig husbandry, and one thing I learned was that Guinea Pigs get lonely... Enter the little calico pig with an ear infection all his own, and an upper respiratory infection. Despite his illness, he was friendly as can be. Now cleared, other than, again, a slight head tilt, I have brought the little calico home as of two days ago, and the first brindle pig will be coming home tomorrow. Brindle and Calico are now, respectively, Phobos and Deimos. The introduction went well and they are now happily munching away at some hay in their cage.

Now, both pigs have lice. I am not afraid of that, I have the expertise of two great vets to guide me through treating them... but neither of them has ever kept guinea pigs before themselves... what has me anxious I guess is just seeing that they both settle in, both with one another, and with their new home in general. And of course, I want to encourage them to bond with me. I would be so grateful for any advice on what I can do, and what I can expect from Phobos & Deimos!

Lissinea

Cavy Slave
You have certainly come to the right place! I brought home my first guinea pig about a month ago so unfortunately I can't help you with medical advice, but I have learned A LOT on this forum. You'll find that just about everyone is willing to help in any way they can whether it's to share their knowledge or just lend their support!

You'll also find that we'd love the chance to oohh and aahh over your adorable piggy pigtures!

Welcome!!

Last edited:

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I just had to put my Binky to sleep today due a long bout with a severe URI & pneumonia that was not turning around...so your piggies are very fortunate. You are a good person to bring those piggies home...this is a great place for advice too. Plz post pictures! We love seeing piggy photos!

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about your pig... I know very well how fortunate I am, as well as little Phobos. I have seen many pigs pass despite all the treatments of the vets I work with. One of these was the first little guy who stole my heart and made me decide that I wanted a guinea pig. He was a tiny, scruffy black pig... sadly, he didn't make it more than a day or two. I didn't think Phobos would make it, but I hoped.

The picture thing is hard! They won't hold still! LOL

But here they are sharing some lettuce and a carrot. Left to right, Phobos & Deimos.

IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1704.jpg

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Awww so precious! I couldn't stand my heavy heart yesterday and with my families blessings adopted two new girls from Craigslist! Will pick up tomorrow! My vet said to quarantine for 21 days and then after two weeks bring them for a well visit. My current piggy Patsy is still recovering from a fungal infection so that should be good timing when introductions can begin. Here are my piggies to be and Patsy....
[My piggy-to-be Ming-Ming]Ming Ming.jpg[My pig Patsy]Cozy Cavy.jpg[[My other piggy-to-be Snookie]Snookie.jpg[I still can't get over all that fur! or is hair???]

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
Good lord, look at that HAIR!!! O.O and Patsy is just adorable!! Love how she posed for the camera!

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Good lord, look at that HAIR!!! O.O and Patsy is just adorable!! Love how she posed for the camera!

I know!!! I admit I'm a bit intimidated by all that hair...hoping my daughter will step in and help groom her. My sister asked if I could put it in a ponytail! I'm sure she was joking....

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
You never know... a veterinarian I once worked with got bored one day and french braided a yorkie's hair all the way down his back. His owner nearly hit the floor, he was laughing so hard.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I wish my dog would hold still so I could braid her hair

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.