PDA

View Full Version : rabbit acting weird/sick

piggielover200
07-22-13, 05:27 pm
My un-neutered male rabbit, 3years old has been acting sick today he is sitting in two corners, not moving he hasn't eaten his salad or carrot, but I saw him take a few sips of water.

I am very scared and my mom said if he does not get better by tomorrow we can take him to the vet but I wanted to know if any bun experts on here have some ideas/answers .

Thank you

Pawesomepet
07-22-13, 06:11 pm
Possibly constipated or bloat! Has he pooed? You need to keep him hydrated and make sure he is eating his hay you need to keep his digestive tract going! If he becomes dehydrated he will go down hill extremely quickly, if he isn't drinking much I'd give pedialyte. And vet would probably be best if you'd only know what's wrong with him.

piggielover200
07-22-13, 07:14 pm
what are the signs of bloat and constipation? can they develop over night? what can I do to make him more comfortable? I just changed his litter bow and so far he only peed, he as a rabbit has never ate a lot of hay. what can I give him to get his digestive track going?? Pawesomepet

piggielover200
07-22-13, 07:18 pm
good news, I just checked on him and he is up and moving he ate his salad and half a carrot one store bought treat and is moving around when I come downstairs!! but I would still like to know the signs just in case it comes back, could he have been to hot? It wasn't that hot in the house, but is that possible he didn't seam to be breathing fast, but since its cooled down now that might be it

Pawesomepet
07-22-13, 08:01 pm
You need to make sure that he poos because if he doesn't and he's constipated/bloated then veggies will only make it that much worse! The biggest sign of constipation and bloating is not pooing he will also sit in the corner of his cage not eating or drinking much as he is very uncomfortable! The fact that he is moving around is a good sign! He needs to eat, preferably hay, to keep his digestive tract going. As far as being hot rabbits are prone to heat stroke more than humans are.. It could've very well been heat related but I wouldn't rule anything else out just yet I'd watch over him especially how much he's eating drinking and pooing

piggielover200
07-22-13, 08:07 pm
ok thank you as far as I can see he has pooped like two pebbles, but I will check on him before I go to bed. I know how much hay I put in so I will check that to . thank you for all the help. Pawesomepet

Pawesomepet
07-22-13, 08:16 pm
ok thank you as far as I can see he has pooped like two pebbles, but I will check on him before I go to bed. I know how much hay I put in so I will check that to . thank you for all the help. @Pawesomepet (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28342)

You're welcome! :) I hope he'll be okay! Keep us updated please :)

Inle_Rabbit
07-23-13, 07:35 am
How is he doing today?

GoldieBrodiexx
07-23-13, 08:21 am
If he doesn't start pooing more I would take him to the vet as it doesn't sound like his digestive tract is moving much which is very dangerous. It's better for him to eat something hay-based (hay or pellets) as if it is bloat veggies will make it worse (as Pawesomepet said) If he stops eating completely you'll need to hand feed him (you can mash up some pellets with water). It's probably not as serious as I'm making it out to be but it's always better to be safe than sorry as buns are sensitive. I lost a beautiful black female dwarf lop four years ago because her digestive system shut down ;(

piggielover200
07-23-13, 07:00 pm
He is doing so much better , he has not acted weird and has been hoping around and pooping a lot ( hahah his normal) but is little pebbles do seem to be smaller than usual they are usually bigger where his brothers are smaller but now they are bout the same size. Pawesomepet Inle_Rabbit GoldieBrodiexx

Pawesomepet
07-23-13, 07:57 pm
That's great! So glad to here he's doing better! :)

Inle_Rabbit
07-23-13, 08:04 pm
Good! Just be sure to give him 24/7 access to a good grass hay and be aware that if he has had bloat once he is likely to get it again. Research which veggies could cause bloat and avoid those.

piggielover200
07-26-13, 07:34 pm
ok thank you!!!