Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Yellow Discharge!!!

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
I had my two female pigs out for floor time/ bonding time with each other. I don't know which one did it because it was inside a hideyhut they were both in, but they were on a piece of fleece (2x3 grid enclosure) with a shower curtain liner underneath and it's like pee but in the middle yellow thick discharge. Is this a cause of the two being together (I don't think they will ever get along) lots of rumble strutting, nipping, chirping, chasing, and hair tuffs being pulled out. Or medical reason? Please help!!! But other than that both of my girls are wheeking, doing zoomies, and begging for food!

EDIT: The more that I look at it, it kinda looks white-ish, could it be just a calcium deposit?
Thanks

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
More than likely a mucus plug. They lose them every heat cycle, then one builds up again for the next cycle.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
It's probably a mucus plug. They fall out every time a female pig goes into heat, so it's nothing to worry about.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks everyone! Am not sure, how often does a guinea pig go into heat? When I was picking up Oxbow hay at Petsmart (I adopted my pigs) I was looking at the handout about guinea pigs, didn't say anything about it. I've had my pigs for almost a year now (ages 1.5 year and 2.5 years), and this is the first time I have seen a think substance, other than a calcium deposit.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Question about mucus plug

After a search and finding this thread, I am pretty sure that the mucus like thing I found on Joanie bum this morning is her mucus plug.
I am wondering though if it is supposed to have a slight fishy odor to it. Or should I be on the look out for a UTI?

Also, when sows go through their heat cycle, do they get more moody? I have noticed a lot more chattering and chasing and general disagreements between Joanie and Raven the past week.
Am I seeing her Pre, during and post heat behaviors?

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine squabble regularly every 14-16 days when one or the other or both are in heat.

I'd sniff for a continuing fishy odor after they're out of heat, which could indicate a UTI. But it's most likely due to their heat cycles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.