PDA

View Full Version : Eyes/Non-crusty 1 week old and eyelids are NOT open?!

Melissa123
07-20-13, 07:15 pm
http://columbus.craigslist.org/pet/3943761024.html

This is the first time I've heard of anything like this. Thoughts on what could be going on?

I did call the ad to get info on this baby already.

They have had the mom and dad pigs over a year now and they keep them together. They say they cry when they are separated so it's better for them to be together. The female has had a ton of litters since then. While they do not call themselves a breeder- they clearly are.

The dilemma I am in- They refuse to take this baby boy to the vet when there is clearly something wrong. I know I shouldn't even be considering taking him but I feel horrible for him. Lord knows what type of home he would actually get- or if he will be snake bait.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 07:20 pm
bpatters, not sure if you're online or not but would love your thoughts on this.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 07:32 pm
I did ask if this baby was all white. A lethal was the first thought that came to my mind. They told me that he is brown/ white.

Megaredize
07-20-13, 07:53 pm
are they sure he has eyes? i know it sounds weird but i did a random search and someone was asking about their baby pig who also did not open his eyes and it turned out he was born without eyes.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 08:02 pm
are they sure he has eyes? i know it sounds weird but i did a random search and someone was asking about their baby pig who also did not open his eyes and it turned out he was born without eyes.

I have no idea and that is a great question! I pissed her off when I stated the male and female should be with their own sex and not together.
I have been texting her with my husbands cell phone and she said she would send pics tomorrow. Hoping she will send a few good ones of his face.

What would you do if this were you? Take him or leave him? In between a rock in a hard place. :(

Paula
07-20-13, 08:18 pm
What would you do if this were you? Take him or leave him? In between a rock in a hard place. :(I think if it were me and I'd taken in a relatively large number of guinea pigs in an also relatively short span of time, I'd avoid taking in another pig and probably avoid Craigslist altogether until I had a reasonable sense of the amount of time, money and emotional investment the 10 or 12 pigs presently in my care might actually require. It's much easier said than done, I know, I've been there, but while I understand the idea of "what's one more" when you already have several, when you go from 2 or 3 to 10 or 12 in three or four months, it's really hard to get an accurate gauge of the toll it's going to take day-in, day-out with cage cleanings, feeding, and routine care, let alone if you end up with two or more that are ill at the same time and demand even more of your time (not to mention funds). Again, I know, I've been there and I'm not in any way trying to be harsh, I just know it's hard to know what you can handle over a longer duration when things might have spun a bit out of control with taking in one here and one there that really needed help until you have more than you might reasonably be able to manage - and you might not know what that amount is until you've had some time to sit back and settle into a routine with several over at least a few months.

Another point to consider is that you can't save them all and there will always be sob stories on craigslist and other similar sites, the sooner and the more you take in, and the more idiots like this one you deal with personally, the sooner you'll burn out altogether and the harder it's going to be to set a realistic limit.

UchihaMickey
07-20-13, 08:18 pm
Personally, i would keep him, possibly keep the cage free of things, and possibly train him with sound..

Pawesomepet
07-20-13, 08:21 pm
Honestly TO ME, may not apply to others, I feel like there is a point where the animals need and health comes first in a situation like this! If I was in this situation I would personally take him. Other people may disagree but that's how I feel! I also agree with making sure you are ready for another one that may even be special needs!

Megaredize
07-20-13, 08:30 pm
If i were you i would take him IF i had the room, time and money to treat him if he may be seriously ill. Im not sure how many pigs you have but if you have the space and everything then i dont see anything wrong with taking him in. Now me being me i wouldnt take it because it could be a boy and i have 4 girls and i honestly have no more room for upgrades.

RandomCavy
07-20-13, 08:36 pm
I would offer to take them all and bring them to a shelter. If you just got the one baby, they would still keep the male and female together, and keep breeding. I hope they find a better life!

Melissa123
07-20-13, 08:38 pm
I think if it were me and I'd taken in a relatively large number of guinea pigs in an also relatively short span of time, I'd avoid taking in another pig and probably avoid Craigslist altogether until I had a reasonable sense of the amount of time, money and emotional investment the 10 or 12 pigs presently in my care might actually require. It's much easier said than done, I know, I've been there, but while I understand the idea of "what's one more" when you already have several, when you go from 2 or 3 to 10 or 12 in three or four months, it's really hard to get an accurate gauge of the toll it's going to take day-in, day-out with cage cleanings, feeding, and routine care, let alone if you end up with two or more that are ill at the same time and demand even more of your time (not to mention funds). Again, I know, I've been there and I'm not in any way trying to be harsh, I just know it's hard to know what you can handle over a longer duration when things might have spun a bit out of control with taking in one here and one there that really needed help until you have more than you might reasonably be able to manage - and you might not know what that amount is until you've had some time to sit back and settle into a routine with several over at least a few months.

Another point to consider is that you can't save them all and there will always be sob stories on craigslist and other similar sites, the sooner and the more you take in, and the more idiots like this one you deal with personally, the sooner you'll burn out altogether and the harder it's going to be to set a realistic limit.

Thank you for your honesty, it really is appreciated!

I will not be going on Craigslist again (or any other site)- that is for sure. There are way too many stupid people in this world.

I do know that the more pigs I have the more money, time and energy they will be. I do spend a lot of time and money with them daily already but I just couldn't imagine not having them in my life. I love having so many- they each have their own personalities. Every single one of them make my life worth living.

I have to think long and hard about this baby boy. I do feel like I could handle him or else I wouldn't be even considering him at all.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 08:46 pm
If i were you i would take him IF i had the room, time and money to treat him if he may be seriously ill. Im not sure how many pigs you have but if you have the space and everything then i dont see anything wrong with taking him in. Now me being me i wouldnt take it because it could be a boy and i have 4 girls and i honestly have no more room for upgrades.

Just so everyone does know... I have a total of *12* pigs at the moment. 2 of them I just rescued a few days ago. I am trying to find the baby boy a forever home but considering (ok, ok.. 99.9% sure) keeping the mama pig to go with Guinea and Cookie. I do have more than enough room for all of my pigs and this baby IF I do get him. I have the time and money as well.
I know 12 seems like such an overwhelming number to some but for me, it works.

I do know I can't save all the pigs in the world either, but I am seriously considering this boy.. I will be talking to my husband some more about this to make sure we are in a agreement before I decide upon anything.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 08:58 pm
a agreement before I decide upon anything.

Should say 'an' agreement :O

pinky
07-20-13, 09:15 pm
I would offer to take them all and bring them to a shelter. If you just got the one baby, they would still keep the male and female together, and keep breeding. I hope they find a better life!

I wouldn't take them and then bring them to a shelter. Chances are, they'd end up being euthanized there.

Melissa123
07-20-13, 09:22 pm
I wouldn't take them and then bring them to a shelter. Chances are, they'd end up being euthanized there.

I agree- what would you do?

ClemmyOddieIndy
07-20-13, 10:16 pm
Poor baby. I would personally get him, but I'm a sucker for a special needs animal. If he was closer I would bring him home in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I'm in central Iowa so it would probably take me 12 hrs to get there.

Pawesomepet
07-20-13, 10:25 pm
Melissa123 I know, from your post, that you are a wonderful piggie owner and this baby would have a wonderful life with you But it is up to you.. Im sure In the end you'll make the right decision!

Piggy_
07-21-13, 12:18 am
It depends on the funds you have- this guinea pig will probably need long term regular vet care for this strange and unknown medical issue. He might also have other issues if his eye problems are the result of a genetic condition. He might have eyes, but need them surgically removed if they are damaged/infected. Or any number of other possibilities. You're probably aware at how quickly a long term case like this would snowball into thousands of dollars in vet bills. And he might die despite your best efforts- so how well are you able to deal with the deaths of your pets? If you struggle to deal with pet deaths then you might like to consider whether the emotional drain will be too much.

But if you're okay with all of that, and you're really keen on him, then there's no reason you shouldn't get him (and preferably his parents if possible- even if you take the parents straight to a shelter or desex one and keep them together). But there will always be guinea pigs neglected, and ones that could possibly end up as snake food, and ones with no eyes etc... if you feel too guilty to ignore those guinea pigs when you encounter them, you need to start avoiding things like craigslist and marketplaces that sell them as snakefood etc to stop yourself taking in more than you comfortably can care for. It's important to still maintain a balance of other things in your life (exercise, work, time with your husband etc) as well as caring for your awesome guinea pig herd, hehe :D

Melissa123
07-21-13, 07:35 am
@Piggy_ (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=27939) ,
I highly doubt they will let me take the mom and dad- but I will def ask!

I told her to hold him for me since he will not be ready to pick up until the 31st.. I know for sure I want him out of that house and into a home that will take care of all his needs. I do have the funds- thank goodness for Care Credit!

pinky
07-21-13, 08:01 am
I agree- what would you do?

For every guinea pig you see that's in bad shape, there are countless others out there in similar or even worse conditions. If you feel strongly that you need to save them, take them and care for them yourself or provide for them until you can find a good home for them. I've seen tons of ads for guinea pigs that are housed in poor conditions. I've emailed some of them and nicely said things like cedar bedding is dangerous so please let the next owner know ".....etc., etc." I have always received a nice reply. Once I got a message asking if it's important to me, why don't I adopt them and I explained that I already have 6 but I just wanted to offer some suggestions so they are provided for properly. I also send the link to the Guinea Pig Cages adoptions as another resource to list the guinea pigs. Donating to your local rescue or shelter also gives countless of other guinea pigs a chance and relieves some of the financial strain for them.

Melissa123
07-23-13, 08:34 pm
If anyone wants an update- this is another thread about this baby! :) http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/90314-Earliest-a-pup-can-be-taken-from-mom