PDA

View Full Version : There's got to be a better way

Sabrinasmommy
08-24-05, 06:28 am
I love my piggers but changing their cage is getting old. I use fleece and I spot clean when I can but I am finding I have to completely change their cage every other day because of the smell. Is there an alternative bedding that I won't have to change as often or won't smell so bad? I am really getting frustrated :sad:

Eventrocker33
08-24-05, 06:43 am
How many pigs do you have and what size cage? I had two pigs in a 3x5 and with fleece and newspapers. I would completely change it once week. I was getting sick of them walking in poop and spot cleaning everyday so I switched to pine just yesterday and hopefully this will work because we have horses and those are the shavings we use. I'm pretty sure you don't have to change pine as often and if you buy it from a local farm supply store it is much cheaper. There is also aspen. Just make sure the pine is kiln-dried.

Sabrinasmommy
08-24-05, 06:53 am
I've been looking through the website and I think I will try either cellsorb or carefresh. Hopefully that will help a bit. I have 2 girls in a 2x4 :)

pennick
08-24-05, 06:55 am
I have 2 girls in a 2x4 and I use aspen on the first level. I change the cage completely every 2 weeks. Have found it works great here.

Sabrinasmommy
08-24-05, 07:00 am
does aspen work better as shaving or pellets?

Eventrocker33
08-24-05, 07:06 am
Carefresh can be very expensive. I have heard that kiln-dried pine works better than aspen but I have also heard aspen works better.

pennick
08-24-05, 07:13 am
I found pine had a very strong odor and I couldn't stand it, whereas aspen didn't have much of a smell. As a matter of fact my husband at first said to me the cage stinks from the piggies and actually it was the pine.

I found the cost of each to be the same in my neck of the woods and I purchase the largest bag which costs me $18.00 and lasts for 3 changes. So for me its $18.00 every 6 weeks.

VoodooJoint
08-24-05, 07:52 am
Before I used fleece (which I still love) I used Pine. I had no complaints about it. It controlled smell, was fairly inexpensive and absorbed nicely. I bought regular pine in cubic meter bags at the feed store and aired it out myself to make it safe.

I did not like Aspen. I found it didn't absorb very well. The moisture seemed to stay at the top.

I have never tried Carefresh or Crittercare.

Lisser
08-24-05, 03:00 pm
I used Carefresh first, then switched to fleece bc it is so much easier to clean. I vacuum poop out 2-3 times a day. it takes me about 5 minutes. my girls have a little pan they pee in. it's a corner litter tray that I think is made for ferrets. I put Carefresh in the litter pan and change it every 2-3 days. works perfect for me.

babyhippie
08-24-05, 04:47 pm
I find that the kiln-dried pine I get from the farm supply store smells less then the Aspen. It's a lot cheaper too!. I completely change the cages out every 5 or 6 days as needed. The lofts need changing less frequently.

Susan9608
08-24-05, 04:49 pm
I tried fleece once and hated it. It was soaking wet and covered with pig excrement in about 8 hours. I was using kiln-dried pine shavings, but it was such a chore, cleaning all that out every week. So, I read someone's thread on Palace Pet Beds, and I started using that. It's fabulous! I vacuum the excrement out every day, but the material absorbs moisture so well that I'm not having to actually change it out more than once a week. There's no odor that I've noticed. This stuff has really saved my sanity - cleaning all of our pig cages all by myself every week was getting to really weigh on me. This was an ideal solution. It's so much neater, also - there aren't any shavings to get all over the floor.

Susan9608
08-24-05, 04:50 pm
Addendum - I tried using a litter pan with the palace pet beds, but my pigs wouldn't use it exclusively and it just made a bigger mess, as they got the litter material all over everything. So now I just have the pet bed in there and it still works marvelously.

Sabrinasmommy
08-24-05, 04:51 pm
I tried fleece once and hated it. It was soaking wet and covered with pig excrement in about 8 hours. I was using kiln-dried pine shavings, but it was such a chore, cleaning all that out every week. So, I read someone's thread on Palace Pet Beds, and I started using that. It's fabulous! I vacuum the excrement out every day, but the material absorbs moisture so well that I'm not having to actually change it out more than once a week. There's no odor that I've noticed. This stuff has really saved my sanity - cleaning all of our pig cages all by myself every week was getting to really weigh on me. This was an ideal solution. It's so much neater, also - there aren't any shavings to get all over the floor.
I would really like to know more about this product. I did go and buy a product similar to carefresh but my cat likes to cuddle in the cage w/the piggers and now every time he jumps out there are little pellet thingys ALL OVER my kitchen floor! It's only been a few hours and I'm sick of it already

Susan9608
08-24-05, 05:20 pm
I got the idea from Pigsnchins and Pennick; they discussed it in another thread.

They listed two links that supply the material:

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_...780D58998C1B2AD (http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=295&gift=False&mscssid=78D9EAB12C4E43249780D58998C1B2AD)

and

http://www.palacepet.com

It is much cheaper at the kvvet site; however it takes a long time to ship. At least, it took a long time to ship to Texas.

I haven't used it for an extended period of time, but so far, I'm thrilled with it. It's cut down on the mess shavings make in the house, it's cut down on the time it takes to clean the cages, it's cut down on the frequency of cage cleanings .... it's just fabulous. :)

Funnygpigs
08-24-05, 05:24 pm
Any bedding, is going to be work one way or another. Pigs poo and pee allot. I think you will just have to try each type till you find one that works for you. I am considering switching to pet bed. I need to find where it is sold around here. Fleece works, but stinks! I have to change it every other day. Maybe this pet bed will be a better alternative. :0)

Edit-*thanks for the link* LoL

Funnygpigs
08-24-05, 05:29 pm
What do you need to put under the pet bed? Do you need to put towels or newspaper like the fleece? Or, nothing? Thank you! :0)

kebboli
08-24-05, 05:49 pm
I have people that save newspapers for me and i just put about ten layers of it through the whole cage(4x2) and upper level(1x4) where they sleep and then in the square end (2x2 eating area ) i put a mix of carefresh and pine, and i keep their hay rack , water and food down there too and they seem to go to the bathroom in that area when eating and the rest of the cage seems to stay cleaner. i change it all about every week and a half. I use fleece, old towels and old pillow cases in all their beds and carpet in end under bed bins. Seems to work well. I stopped using pine and stuff in the whole cage because i have 1 pigger that has allergies and tends to get URI's.

Susan9608
08-24-05, 07:37 pm
I line my cages with plastic garbage bags. The ones designed for kitchen trash cans fit perfectfly (if you use 2) without sticking up for the pigs to chew on. Over those, I put a layer of puppy pads. Then I put a layer of newspaper. Since I had fleece from my fleece attempt, I decided to try putting a layer of fleece down. I havent' cleaned the cages since I put the fleece down, so I don't know if the fleece helps or not. Over all of that, I put the vet bed. It seems like a lot, I guess, but for me, anyways, it's so much easier to clean. It's a lot lighter, for one thing, and since my joint disease is worsening, that makes it easier on me. Those cages filled with wood shavings were heavy!

I think it's true that any bedding is going to be work in some form or fashion - just how much work is the question.

kebboli
08-24-05, 07:49 pm
I also find that since I tape the very first layer of newspaper that when I clean I just roll it up like a big tootsie roll and put it into a 30 gallon trash bag and its done. Then I spray down the coroplast with the water vinigar mix and clean and dry and start over. It also keeps the cost down and I only have to launder the fleece etc... thats in there beds.

Sabrinasmommy
08-26-05, 06:09 am
I"m wondering if just plain old puppy pads with nothing on them is ok? As I am learning the hard way any type of loose bedding just won't work. My cat gets it stuck to his fur and tracks it everywhere

Ly&Pigs
08-26-05, 07:44 pm
I"m wondering if just plain old puppy pads with nothing on them is ok?
No it's not. The pigs will chew on the plastic part of the puppy pads and that can be dangerous.

Lisser
08-31-05, 12:51 pm
I bought some version of vet bed at Walmart the night before last. I bought two rolls of it to cover my new 3x3. I had a narrow strip left over. You can cut this stuff with scissors and it doesn't unravel or anything. I a layer of newspaper under this vet bed imitation, then the vet bed stuff, then fleece. It's so soft and cushiony and I have no odor at all so far and this is day 3. I vacuum poop out atleast once a day, more like 2-3 times a day if need be. This stuff I bought at Walmart was $7.96 for a roll. Here is the closest thing on Walmart's site that I found to what I bought night before last.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3663209&cat=202077&type=1&dept=5440&path=0%3A5440%3A202072%3A202077

It was only $7.96 though and it was not packaged like this.

I also bought 3 of the ceramic saucers that are supposed to go under planters for my salad plates. They are very heavy and can't be tipped over. They were $1.88 each. I forget how to upload thumbnails in here. I'll show you all a pic of my new pretty salad plates for my piggies. They are the saucers that have the cooked on finish.

Edit-I can't post the pic of the saucers bc it is too big. I am computer blonde and I do not know how to resize. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about though. It's what you put under the plant so when you water it, the water doesn't leak out.

2boyz2luv
08-31-05, 01:45 pm
I use a combo of the Carefresh and fleece. I use the pup pads on the very bottom of the cage. They are then covered (heavily) in carefresh on one side of the cage... and a fleece blanket folded 4 times on the other side of the C&C. Works great so far! The boys love the fleece and seem to do most of (not all) the pooping and whizzing on the Carefresh side. I use a dustbuster to do a daily spot clean of poops on the fleece side. Only takes a sec. the carefresh can last a week or two... depending on the pigs. :)

jdomans
08-31-05, 02:04 pm
I buy heat-dried/kiln-dried pine from the feed store. Tons cheaper than a pet store. I used to use Care fresh only but since quitting work to be in school full-time I had to cut back. Polly gets a thick layer of pine then a thin layer of Care Fresh for padding her feet. Buddy, my chin gets all pine as he spends most of his time above it! I clean my cages just as cavy spirit suggests. I use a whiss (sp) broom size dust pan and I take a kitchen garbabge bag and clip it to the cage where the door is open and just scoop and dump. I spot clean when needed and throughly clean once a week. Because it is kiln/heat dried there is no pine odor. My room doesn't smell like a hamster's cage used to before we knew better than to use cedar and unprocessed pine. Oh- depending on the size of your cage a full sized dust broom would get the job done faster.
Judy