PDA

View Full Version : New piggy owner

LYLLIES MOO
07-17-13, 07:02 pm
Hello i am the new proud mom of moo :)
he is a peruvian piggy we picked upon craigslist and glad we did
he was somewhat not the best cared for she said she no longer had time and i seen that more so after we got him home
but if anyone has any advice tips etc... I would appreciate it
right now he is eating veggies and oxbow cavi cuisine and takeing daily vit c tablets that i give him at night he really likes them.

I have to brush him daily if not twice to keep him tangle free and i am going to be bathin him weekly for now to hope and get rid of the urine smell he came with i am useing baby shampoo and detangler hopeing that works

again any peruvian advice would be great thanks again
michelle

BestGuineaPigs
07-17-13, 07:10 pm
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a Peruvian, I have two American short-hairs and an Abyssinian but I would recommend taking him to the vet, just in case he's sick. Hope he gets well!

3PiggiesGMC
07-17-13, 07:22 pm
Welcome to the crazy world of piggie love!! You didn't mention hay, so make sure you get him some of that. :)

LYLLIES MOO
07-17-13, 07:25 pm
hello he does get that too but really does not eat much at all ?

LYLLIES MOO
07-17-13, 07:28 pm
i hope he isnt ...he is eating good drinking good seems ok
i am just starting to change over his pellet food as she had him on a cheap brand. so put some with his old and he ate all the new and not the old . the old was alfalfa based and the oxbow i guess is timothy hay based . he really seems to like it :)

NursePiggy
07-17-13, 08:27 pm
Welcome Lyllies Moo! Hay is the most important part of the piggies diet...try different varieties of hay like Western Cut Timothy Hay, Orchard, etc...and place them in different areas to see what he is drawn to most. Even though he isn't sick, you still should take him for a well visit to your vet. They can sometimes catch things you may not notice plus it gives them an idea of what his 'healthy' state is in the event he ever does get sick...
Also I wouldn't use baby shampoo...Gorgeous Guineas is well known for selling quality safe products for guinea pigs. they are in the UK but ship to the USA. I also bought some shampoo from Petco that I showed my vet who felt it was perfectly safe to use on the Guinea pig. It was called Earthbath Tea Tree Oil and Aloe shampoo. Before I bathed my piggy I tested it on the back of her ear to see if she had any reactions to it...she didn't and boy did she smell great and feel soft afterwards!!!!