Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Guinea pig is huffing and coughing?

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey guys, well anyways I am on vacation visiting in-laws and took my guinea pigs with me. First off my guinea pigs has never coughed back at home just a little huff noise when laying down. One of my guinea pigs coughed twice today once when putting him back in the cage and another while he was eating his fecal matter. They are both huffing when they exhale at times too. I don't think their sick they seem to be eating/drinking normally and gaining weight properly. My in-laws however they live in a pretty humid place, Charleston, SC. My in-laws houses are kept nicely and look nice but the house itself is old, dusty, and has a moldy smell. Do you think the strange new smells are agitating my guinea pigs lungs? They just started coughing when we got to my hubby's grandma's house. They have no nose discharges or crusty eyes, no loss of appetite, no crust/flake on nose, and no weight loss so I want to rule out URI but if any of these other symptoms occur in the next 2 weeks I'm taking them to a vet visit as soon as possible.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Any suggestions?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if it's because of the new smells or not, but i do know that humidity isn't good for them and they don't have to have all of the symptoms for them to have a URI; sometimes they may exhibit only one symptom.
Two coughs in an entire day doesn't sound too bad, especially if one time it was when he was eating. That's fairly normal if they eat too fast.
My main concern would be the "huffing" on exhale that you described.
I would definitely keep a close eye on them.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
When I first got my pigs, one of them coughed a lot at first, and I've read on here that it can happen when moving your pigs to a new place, but if they're showing any other symptoms, keep an eye on them.
The humidity definitely doesn't sound good for them, is there anywhere in the house that has better air where you can keep them?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The humidity shouldn't be a problem. Dust certainly could be.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
The humidity shouldn't be a problem. Dust certainly could be.

Really? Everything I've read says to keep them out of humid environments. Just curious, but if it's not a problem them why is that recommended? I've always made sure to not take the boys outside when it's humid, but if i don't actually have to worry about it then that would take a load off my mind. haha

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It would have to be pretty humid to cause problems.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys!! I've been checking up on my guinea pigs daily since I've heard him cough. They haven't shown any signs or symptoms of a URI yet and haven't huff a lot lately so hope everything goes well till we're back home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.