PDA

View Full Version : Shavings Bedding Problem

Cavy_Guy
08-23-05, 05:50 pm
When I bought my bedding from my feed store they said there bedding was Pine and I thought ok whatever Ill just let it air out for a week, no big deal. I just know for the first time really looked at the bedding for the first time and it said Soft Wood Bedding. I dont know what kind of wood would be in that and I was wondering if it is ok.

stitsy&codyPig
08-23-05, 06:01 pm
I don't know, I have never heard of that. Sorry I couldn't help!

Ly&Pigs
08-23-05, 07:32 pm
Types of soft woods include:
Pine
Fir
Spruce
Cedar
Redwood
Cypress

If you don't know if these shavings contain any cedar, don't use them. Cedar is really bad for all small animals due to the aromatic oils in them.

jdomans
08-31-05, 10:45 am
Make sure the bag says kiln-dried or heat-dried. I use pine from the feed store that says heat-dried and cover it with a layer of care fresh. I was using carefresh alone but since quitting my job to be a full-time student and enlarging my cages, I had to compromise a bit.

jdomans
08-31-05, 10:48 am
PS My chin and pig are in my room. My roommate doesn't care for pets. I asked my boyfriend the other day if my room smelled like a rodent cage and he said it had no odor. You should not 'smell' your bedding.

Ly&Pigs
08-31-05, 12:07 pm
You can use pine that is not kiln dried or heat dried but you have to let it air out for a few days to get rid of the aromatic oils.