PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss Patchy, scabby spot above nose

wuyifan
07-15-13, 04:02 pm
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new guinea pig and he's been home for almost a week now. He's been doing well up until yesterday when I noticed that he had a little bit of a scabby patch just above his nose. It looked like he injured himself but it scabbed over and he was acting normally, so I wasn't too concerned. He was eating well and drinking well too, and his stools look normal. Also, his eyes and nose aren't runny and there are no crusty areas anywhere on his body. Overall, he looked alright. But today, when I went to give him some hay, it almost spread to the other side of his nose and it appears that he injured himself again or he is losing hair. Should I be concerned? He is still eating well and everything appears to be normal. I'm not sure what is causing it, so any help would be great

Aleks
07-15-13, 04:41 pm
What you described makes me think of ringworm or some other fungal infection. Is this what it looks like?: http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

wuyifan
07-15-13, 06:01 pm
It's redder than that, but not as red as the bottom picture at the bottom of the page. I was thinking it was a fungus too but I'm not so sure now. I'm trying to get a picture of him but he keeps moving around and when I try to pick him up he runs away and he makes that low, rumbling sound when I chase him around the cage. He takes food from me and today he let me pet his head and under his chin but he doesn't like being touched.

wuyifan
07-15-13, 09:19 pm
Update: I am beginning to think it IS a fungal infection. The patch is getting larger and it's becoming more red and scabby. My friend told me to treat the area with Nizoral and Polysporin for a week? What should I do?

NursePiggy
07-15-13, 09:42 pm
I would take him to the vet just to be sure it is only fungal and not mites...fungal infections spread FAST and mites can be life threatening. Fungal infections are also highly contagious even to humans. So be sure you are washing your hands and changing his bedding etc at least every other day...Be sure to remove wood items as well since they can retain the fungal spores.also you might want to inquire about getting some Gorgeous Guinea shampoos for fungal infections and give him a gentle bath to help control the spreading and calm the irritation. Good luck with your piggy!

aspecht
07-15-13, 09:48 pm
Get some Lotrimin or Monistat cream. Rub that on twice a day. That will get rid of ringworm and I believe most fungal infections.

aspecht
07-15-13, 09:52 pm
The Nizoral is also ok according to guinea lynx, but it says it is hard to find. I treated my boys with Miconazole (Lotrimin) and it cleared up within a week (still treating) and have also treated with Ivermectin to be sure that we didn't have mites as well (they are getting round two tonight)

Pawesomepet
07-15-13, 10:05 pm
I used Lotrimin spray vet told me not to use the cream and the Lotrimin did the job within a week careful not to get it in the eyes nose mouth ears if you do use it but I would check with the vet just so you know what you are dealing with. We knew immediately what we had going on so did not require a vet visit only a phone call but if you're not sure you should maybe talk to your vet.

aspecht
07-15-13, 10:13 pm
I used Lotrimin spray vet told me not to use the cream and the Lotrimin did the job within a week careful not to get it in the eyes nose mouth ears if you do use it but I would check with the vet just so you know what you are dealing with. We knew immediately what we had going on so did not require a vet visit only a phone call but if you're not sure you should maybe talk to your vet.

Why would they say not to use the cream?

NursePiggy
07-15-13, 10:16 pm
Perhaps it dries faster so it is less likely for them to rub it off....with my dogs and hot spots or fungal infections in their paws from licking the spray works better for it goes on quickly and dries on their skin faster. But there may be another reason too that someone else might offer. Best of luck with the Piggies!

Pawesomepet
07-15-13, 10:17 pm
@aspecht (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28225) I'm not sure I wasn't saying not to use it just saying why I used the spray. My mother talked to them at the time. I can only assume its because the spray comes out dry and the cream sits on the skin. I was only reasoning why I used the spray.

Pawesomepet
07-15-13, 10:20 pm
NursePiggy if you're talking about Lotrimin then yes the spray dries instantly.. We tried to spray it in a bowl then use a qtip to rub it on him but it pretty much came out dry lol

NursePiggy
07-15-13, 10:23 pm
Yes I believe I used the Lotrimin spray on my dogs paws....it was great because it dries fast and they don't try to lick it off as soon as I turn around as quickly as they did with creams. They must have thought I was just adding some additional flavor for them to enjoy!

Pawesomepet
07-15-13, 10:28 pm
Hahaha I loved it for my piggie I was surprised at how fast it dried and my guy didnt even realize he had medicine on!

aspecht
07-15-13, 10:40 pm
AHhhh I see. I just wrapped my piggy up until it had absorbed completely lol. But I can see the reason for using the spray as well.

wuyifan
07-15-13, 10:44 pm
Thanks so much for the replies guys. Actually I live in Canada and Nizoral isn't hard to get here, I actually have a bottle at home. I just cleaned his cage and I washed everything that I needed to. So the Nizoral is alright to use then? How much does the Lotrimin cost for you guys usually?

foggycreekcavy
07-15-13, 10:54 pm
I've had good luck with using the over the counter anti-fungal creams. I've used Lotrimin or Monistat with no problems. You only use a very small amount each time, so it's not like it sits on the pig. You rub it in pretty well. I do it three times a day.

wuyifan
07-15-13, 11:17 pm
Hi guys, quick update: I don't think they sell Lotrimin or Monistat in Canada, at least not at the Walmarts in Canada. I found this antifungal cream, the clotrimazole is 1% according to this box. Would you guys recommend it? http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/canesten-topical-cream-30g/10036070?trail=&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=&searchString=&moduleName=&startSearch=&fromSearchBox=&addFacet=

aspecht
07-16-13, 12:12 am
I bought off brand Miconazole cream for $4 and it was enough to treat two pigs (with half a tub left)

wuyifan
07-16-13, 03:59 am
I live in Canada and they don't sell Lotrimin or Monistat at all anywhere here. But I did find an antifungal cream called Canesten and it has 1% clotrimazole, which is the same amount found in the Lotrimin/Monistat according to the Guinea Lynx website. Should I get it for my pig?

wuyifan
07-16-13, 06:36 am
Here is what his nose looks like atm