Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the Piggie Scene and loving every last Wheek!!!

SqueekNOreo

Cavy Slave
Here's our story. Growing up I had hamsters and was bitten by every single one of them so my opinion of "rodents" was VERY low. I'm a single mom of two children, a 5 (almost 6) year old girl and a 4 1/2 year old boy (yup, 16 months apart) and we live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets. Anywho....a friend of mine that does daycare said she was offering up two guinea pigs, their cage, and all of the items to go with them for $30! Now I KNEW that was a STEAL and the situation was just that the guinea pigs were SO overwhelmed by the daycare children and they didn't get the love and quiet attention they needed. This friend of mine lives 2 1/2 hours away, but I talked to my landlord about the guinea pigs and he said since I've been such a great tenant he would ok 2 guinea pigs, so we got them the following weekend and have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with "our boys". They came with a store bought cage that is CLEARLY too small for the two of them, one pigloo, a water bottle, some SUPER cheap pellets, and some leftover wood bedding. Now after talking to a much more Cavie savie friend of mine (oh look I made a rhyme! hehehe) I knew I had some work to do. I've never had guinea pigs before so I had NO IDEA of their needs, which was exactly the problem the daycare provider had I believe. They were ONLY getting pellets and water. No fresh veggies except for carrot treats once in a while and these sesame ball treats from the pet store that they won't touch with a ten foot pole, they were shedding, didn't move around much and were very quiet and timid. After 3 weeks of fresh CareFresh bedding, an abundance of timothy hay, fresh veggies, fruit treats, pellets, and fresh water regularly these little guys start squeeking and scurrying around their (still too small) cage the minute they hear the movement in my bedroom! I work from home and several days I work with one of them snuggled up in my lap. Every evening when the kids come home from daycare they set up their "playpen" and get out the tubes and toys and let the guinea pigs play while we cook and eat dinner. They have absolutely become part of our family and we are so madly in love with them, I don't know what we did when they weren't here.

When I decided to get a guinea pig I was VERY naive and uneducated and for that I feel HORRIBLE. I assumed they were just another rodent to watch run around in a wheel or cage. I had to idea they had such personalities and were so social!! We are so so soooooo happy to have Oreo and Squeek be part of our family and can't wait to learn more about being the best piggie parents we can be!

So far this forum has been abundant with information and I've been welcomed with open arms! I can't wait to be part of a community like this!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
You do know that pigtures are a requirement, right? Sounds like your piggies are fitting right into your family and you're coming along nicely as a cavy slave.

Don't feel bed; before I got my girls, I was like you and figured they were big hairballs with no personality. I was proven wrong very, very quickly.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I had guinea pigs over twenty years ago and when I got Nikolai I thought I knew everything I needed to take care of him. Then I found this place and I had to change everything, starting with the cage. I now have another boar, Vladimir, and I love them both so much. They are funny, social, loving little balls of fur and bring so much joy to my life. Enjoy your boys!

SqueekNOreo

Cavy Slave
OH! I totally forgot to mention that I have a C&C cage on order and should be here in a couple weeks! CAN NOT WAIT!!!! I am making them a fleece forest, snuggle sacks, and a hay holder too (we're currently using an empty cardboard box from a roll of trash bags (LOL). Here are pictures of our boys. They are brothers. Oreo is the larger of the two and definitely more calm than Squeek. Squeek is more "jumpy" but both are SUPER sweet! Where oreos white hair and black hair meet they kinda "blend" together so he has some really interesting charcoal coloring as well as the black and white. Squeek from the top of his head looks like a little skunk with his white stripe right up his face. Absolutely in love with these boys! iPhone pics 146.jpgiPhone pics 147.jpg

Attachments

iPhone pics 157.jpg

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Such cuties! Love their coloring!

3PiggiesGMC

Cavy Slave
What sweet looking piggies you have! Congrats to you and your kids for the new additions to your family! :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Your piggies and kids are adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.