Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering a baby

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about adopting a baby/young male for Rapunzel (our special needs girl). He will get neutered before introducing him to her. So my question is, roughly how much will it cost to get him neutered? I know the more experience the better (have a cavy vet we love, just not sure on how many surgeries he's done) and that prices vary but what is the USUAL price for neutering? How long until he'd be able to be introduced to/housed with her? Will it effect our herd (four females) at all with them all being in the same room together?
Should note, I HAVE checked this website top to bottom a thousand times, just want more input :) https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
There is no usual cost to nuetering. And make sure to seperate him for 3-5 weeks before. Also, just call you vet and get the infomation from him/her

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Kinda depends. If you go to an exotic vet, I'd expect to pay $250-$300 pretty easily. You might be able to find a spay/neuter clinic that typically works with cats and dogs that will see and neuter small animals too, that's what I've done with my rabbits and here the cost is $40-$60 and that includes mandatory pain meds and the initial exam.

3PiggiesGMC

Cavy Slave
I've been quoted by my vet somewhere around $425 for each of my boys. I have 2 boys who I really wanted to reunite with their Mama, but that doesn't seem to be in the budget!

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
There is no usual cost to nuetering. And make sure to seperate him for 3-5 weeks before. Also, just call you vet and get the infomation from him/her

He will be quarantined until 3 weeks AFTER he is neutered. No way am I chancing one male with my five females! lol Can I ask why 3-5 weeks though? I'm completely new to male ownership (he'll be our first male IF we decide to get him)

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I've been quoted by my vet somewhere around $425 for each of my boys. I have 2 boys who I really wanted to reunite with their Mama, but that doesn't seem to be in the budget!
Yeah that's a crazy amount for a neuter. If it is that much, we most likely won't be getting him :(

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Kinda depends. If you go to an exotic vet, I'd expect to pay $250-$300 pretty easily. You might be able to find a spay/neuter clinic that typically works with cats and dogs that will see and neuter small animals too, that's what I've done with my rabbits and here the cost is $40-$60 and that includes mandatory pain meds and the initial exam.
I am taking my girl to the vet tomorrow so I will ask him while I am there about neuter prices. We have vets around here that neuter rabbits so maybe I'll look into them as well, I've heard they are pretty decent on prices as well. I'm just thinking ahead before even getting a male because I do not want any pregnancies.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
He will be quarantined until 3 weeks AFTER he is neutered. No way am I chancing one male with my five females! lol Can I ask why 3-5 weeks though? I'm completely new to male ownership (he'll be our first male IF we decide to get him)

It's just to make sure all of his live sperm are out of his system by the time he is with the girls. No pop up pregnancies ;)

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
I have a couple boars that I'm wanting to get neutered too. I know the price here is about $60 per pig. how old do they need to be/large do they need to be before neutering?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a couple boars that I'm wanting to get neutered too. I know the price here is about $60 per pig. how old do they need to be/large do they need to be before neutering?

unless your planning on putting them with females- it's kinda pointless in my opinion. :)

"There is no need or reason to neuter two boars living together. If they don't get along now, neutering won't help. Please see the social life page for more discussion on issues related to pairing up guinea pigs. Please see the breeding page for more information on the dangers and concerns of breeding." https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

3PiggiesGMC

Cavy Slave
My vet told us that she would want to wait 'til they are 4 months old to neuter... We are considering getting Mama fixed instead. It is just a tad pricier than doing one boy, but the vet said fixing a girl did have health benefits. She said since they are prone to reproductive cancers and such, that fixing her would help with that. Although, it is much riskier to fix a girl, a much more invasive surgery, and my vet said that it's much more painful for girls to recover.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
My vet charges 105$ for neututeing plus 45$ for check up prior to the neutering so it comes out to 150$ for me!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

You only need to separate them 21 days.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
That's a question for your vet - most of them have a "rule" about size and possibly age, but usually it's size. My clinic says a pound, I've heard others that say higher.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Talked to my cavy vet today and he said he'd charge $120 to neuter a boar. Only problem is, he's never neutered a guinea before. He's neutered over 500 rabbits in the last six years (has a 98.86% rating if that matters) I'm just not sure if I want to be his first client for guinea spaying/neutering! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.