PDA

View Full Version : The new hay?

stitsy&codyPig
08-22-05, 10:09 pm
Has anyone heard of katyee's new oat grass hay? I think that is what it is called, I know it is brand new. If you have is it any good?
By the way the best hay is timothy right?

Sabriel
08-23-05, 08:47 am
I use oat hay as a treat. Orchard grass and brome make good hay treats as well. I find the pigs like it when I switch things up once and a while.

pennick
08-23-05, 09:53 am
Timothy hay is for piggies over approx. 8 months, alfalfa is for piggies under 8 months. If you have 2 piggies one young and one old then you can use half and half.

stitsy&codyPig
08-23-05, 11:10 am
Thanks everyone for your replies!

aqh88
08-23-05, 01:22 pm
Oat hay isn't as good as timothy, orchardgrass, or bluegrass. They can eat it occasionally but it isn't as healthy. Timothy is not required to be fed though. Mine never get timothy since I'm allergic to it and mostly get fed orchard or bluegrass. Brome is also an option but it seems most guinea pigs don't really like the taste.

stitsy&codyPig
08-23-05, 04:09 pm
Thanks aqh88!

stitsy&codyPig
08-23-05, 05:55 pm
Hi I just got back from the store, and the correct name is bermuda hay. Is this safe? I know it is new and the makers are Katyee. I'm just wandering if it is safe. Thanks!

Sabriel
08-25-05, 01:54 pm
I beg to differ when it comes to brome hay, my pigs inhale it. They get a small handfull of brome on top of thier timothy hay once and in a while and it goes pretty quick around here. So does orchard grass. They like oat hay too, but not as much as brome and orchard.

I find as long as you pick your bag well Kaytee hay is as good or better then Oxbow right now. The Oxbow in my area is brown and course whereas the bag of Kaytee Timothy I just bought is green and soft and really nice smelling.

C&R5567
08-26-05, 07:43 am
I've got to tell you, I used to buy Kaytee Timothy but I buy nothing but Oxbow now. I think the trick is not to buy any hay from pet stores if you can. Especially hays like OxBow. As with anything, hay has a shelf life. Granted it is months but it will get brown over time. And the stores won't order until their stock is depleted. So that may be why your store has brown OxBow. Too bad, really. I stopped buying from my pet store for that very reason.

I order my timothy direct from the Oxbow company. As an example my most recent order was probably the best box of timothy I've ever gotten for my companions. Super fresh and green throughout, nice mix of 1st and 2nd cut. So it's leafy, which animals love plus it has seed heads and stems. All good for the teeth and digestive tract. Gorgeous box of hay, I was very pleased.

But if you can get nice bags of Kaytee, then go for it. I see nothing wrong with Kaytee, really.

Sabriel
08-26-05, 08:38 am
I'm in Canada, so it's difficult to buy direct from Oxbow and Kleenmama. I'm looking for a cheaper wholesale source (like a farm or feed store) but I haven't had much luck. It doesn't help that I don't have a car.

But I swear this bag of Kaytee is so green and soft. I can feel the difference when I pick it up to put in the cage. They eat more of it too.

I bought my Oxbow from the vets actually. And they kept running out of timothy. At $13 for 15oz they would be running to to the storeroom if they had some left to sell.

C&R5567
08-26-05, 09:50 am
Whoo! 13 bux for 15 ounces? Your vet is taking you for a ride. Here, at least where I used to go, and from Oxbow themselves, 15 ounces is less than 5 bux. I usually order 9 pounds at a time for 15 bux. Not too bad.

I don't blame you for wanting something less costly. And don't get me wrong, I think Kaytee is fine.

Funny thing is though, my bunny protested last time I brought Kaytee into the house. He flatly refused to eat it! I bought it to hold the bunny and cavy over until my OxBow shipment arrived. But he is all fussy on Oxbow. So our guinea has been eating the Kaytee, no complaints. I kind of feel guilty though. Even though I know there's nothing wrong with Kaytee and my spoiled wabbit only wants OxBow, I feel like I'm treating wabbit better than cavy. So I've been mixing cavy's hay with some Oxbow. Helps to relieve the guilt. :)

Anyway, keep using your Kaytee. You are doing a fine job. :)

stitsy&codyPig
08-26-05, 11:16 am
I think I will dheck into oxbow! Does anyone know the shipping prices?

Sabriel
08-26-05, 12:12 pm
Remember the exchange rate. $13 over here is worth a wee bit less then $13 over there. I usually put CAD when I state prices. It's more like $10 USD.

I wish we called it something other then a dollar here. It would stop alot of confusion.

If you ever want to see how much prices differ look at the back of books sold in both countries. Sometimes it's almost double the price for us :(

C&R5567
08-26-05, 12:17 pm
I think I will dheck into oxbow! Does anyone know the shipping prices?

Go to www.oxbowhay.com (http://www.oxbowhay.com) They have a shipping charges chart along with quantities and prices. Check out their other products too. They have some excellent stuff. :goodvibes

C&R5567
08-26-05, 12:32 pm
Remember the exchange rate. $13 over here is worth a wee bit less then $13 over there. I usually put CAD when I state prices. It's more like $10 USD.

Right now the Canadian dollar is $1.19 to the American dollar. So the difference is minimal. Your 15 ounce Oxbow hay from your vet should only cost about $5.95 canadian, not $13, which would be around $10.53 here. He's just all about profit. And selling old brown hay to boot. If he is a good vet that's one thing, but do as you are doing and get your hay elsewhere. :)

stitsy&codyPig
08-26-05, 12:32 pm
Thanks C&r5567.