PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

piggies11
07-09-13, 11:49 am
Hi! I'm new here so I thought make my first post. Last Thursday I got my first guinea pig. I wasn't expecting it, I just stumbled upon some at a flea market and couldn't say no to a cute little girl. I still had a cage from when I had my hedgehog so I'm using that. It's 24"x24" and a plastic pet store cage. I know it probably isn't the best but I'm planning on getting something better. Anyways I put in lots of Timothy hay and she always has pellets and water. I give her 1 cup of veggies per day, and she loves apples and grapes (as treats). Her name is Gloria. I have regular bedding stuff (not pine or cedar). But when I reach in to pick her up she hides in her igloo. Am I doing something wrong? Once I pick her up and snuggle her, she doesn't mind. So anyways, hello everyone! I'm glad to be here! :eek:

PiggieGuinea
07-09-13, 11:56 am
Nothing is wrong. But you really need to get her a friend and a bigger cage. I love the cages here. She needs at least a two grid by 3 grid or a two by for if you have a loft so they have enough room. Your piggy is just scared and needs to be tamed. And make sure you cut down on fruits and only give her 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets a day. And unlimited timothy jay and water too :) good luck and welcome!

piggies11
07-09-13, 12:05 pm
I'm planning on getting her a friend from our local pet shop. We have talked to the lady who owns the place and she is a guinea pig breeder. I am going to get one from there. I might get another cage like the one I already have and connect them so they can have their space and also interact. I am trying to tame her and I hope its working. I definitely will cut down on fruits and she hardly eats her pellets anyways. And I have unlimited hay and water so I'm set there! Thanks!

WheekingPiggies
07-09-13, 12:20 pm
Welcome to the forum! We love pigtures here, so we hope you will post some of Gloria! I am glad you're planning to get her a friend, but please adopt instead of shop. I suggest searching on Petfinder to find guinea pigs in your area that need a forever home.

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 02:16 pm
I second going to a shelter for Gloria's friend! That way you are saving two lives, the pig you adopt and the pig they can make room for, you will know more about your pigs personality and you will hopefully be free of illnesses like URIs which are very common in pet store pigs.

Also there are great threads on this site about building C&C cages.

And, if she is a new pig, she's probably still nervous, so just take your time to get to know her and eventually she won't run and hide as much.

piggies11
07-09-13, 03:47 pm
As much as I'd like to adopt, it isn't going to be possible for me. My local shelters don't have guinea pigs and on Petfinder there weren't any local. Sadly, the store is my only option.

As for the cage, I have connected a pet playpen to my cage and made a ramp down to it. This increased the sizes slightly and I am planning on getting a better cage in the future

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 04:17 pm
piggies11, you should try craigslist too, they almost always have people giving up their pigs.

piggies11
07-09-13, 04:22 pm
I will try craigslist! I won't be able to adopt for a couple weeks anyways, maybe by then something will come up on craigslist.

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 04:26 pm
Also if you post a relative location where you are, many people on this site would be more than happy to try and help you find a piggy :]

PiggieGuinea
07-09-13, 04:31 pm
And look on craigslist for Choroplast and Organizer grids or look up "C and C guinea pig cage" And if you have a handy family member/loved one/friend then they can make a playpen style cage like mine as you can see here:

This is mine. It is 3.5 feet by 3.5 feet. If you want pictues of structure just message me. We used aspen scraps for the outer wood layer.

piggies11
07-09-13, 04:39 pm
Just a question, if I get a C&C cage, can I cover it at night? My dog sleeps with me and my piggy is in my room, and my dog likes to try to play with her but she doesn't like the dog.

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 04:43 pm
You can absolutely make a cage top!

ThePigAlchemist
07-09-13, 04:44 pm
You can even make a lid for the cage for all the time if you want. I have a top on mine because I've lived with dogs in the past, and I much prefer it. My top is made of grids, but lots of people use closet shelving instead.

piggies11
07-09-13, 04:54 pm
About how much is a C&C? And can you get the supplies at WalMart or K Mart?

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 04:59 pm
I bought my grids for 19.99 at K-Mart! http://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-010W435219990001P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
Looks like they are up to 21.99 again, but I know Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them for 19.99$ still!

One pack of K-Mart grids got me 23 grids, I bought 3 packs for a 2x5, a two grid high stand and I plan on making a loft as well.

The coroplast I ended up getting from guineapigcagesstore.com, but most people recommend Home Depot or sign making stores.

Just make sure your grids are 14" by 14" and has a minimum of 9 squares in each direction or they can cause choking hazards.

piggies11
07-09-13, 05:06 pm
OK, how big is one cube?

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 05:09 pm
A cube is 14 inches. For you to get two girls, you need a 2x4 at minimum in size, so two grids wide, four grids long. Ends up being 28" wide and 4'7" roughly.

piggies11
07-09-13, 05:19 pm
What are the prices for coroplast?

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 05:23 pm
I've heard it ranges from 15$- 30$
I ended up ordering mine on line so it ended up being like 65$ because of shipping haha

piggies11
07-09-13, 05:27 pm
And how much coroplast will I need? Sorry for all the questions

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 05:35 pm
You'll need enough to cover the bottom and 3 to 6 inches up each side. Look at guineapigcagesstore.com for everything you need to know :)

piggies11
07-09-13, 05:37 pm
OK, any other suggestions for the newbie?

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 06:41 pm
There are sooo many good forums on this site. Definitely check out the cages section for more information!

piggies11
07-09-13, 08:10 pm
I've decided to use some old unused linoleum as the bottom, because I already have it. Is it alright if I only have a 4 inch side instead of 6 inch?

agirlwithink
07-09-13, 08:23 pm
If you use it with the grids absolutely, generally the taller sides just help to keep bedding in the cage

PiggieGuinea
07-09-13, 08:28 pm
Get the measurements for the cage. Go to home depot and show them your measurements. Or get a 2x4 cagr choroplast on the store for this site.

ThePigAlchemist
07-09-13, 08:30 pm
I've got 4 inch sides on my cage. No problems, except occasionally poop gets kicked out. Honestly, I think that would happen with 6 inch sides too.

Liviebrew1
07-09-13, 08:39 pm
For coro just go to home depot or a sign shop and get the 4 by 8 sheet. You will have extra if you want a loft or something.

piggies11
07-09-13, 09:23 pm
I don't think I'm going to use coroplast simply to save money (I already have the linoleum).

piggies11
07-10-13, 09:20 pm
Just finished moving Gloria into her new 2x4 C&C cage! She loves it so far and she's running around! I will post a pigture of her and her enclosure in a minute!

piggies11
07-10-13, 09:26 pm
51940Here it is! What ate some other things I should put on for her?

filchikmcr
07-10-13, 11:59 pm
Get her something to chew on! I got a pack of apple wood sticks at Target for my girls to chew on.

piggies11
07-11-13, 12:02 am
Will do! Is it OK to get sticks straight from an apple tree?

agirlwithink
07-11-13, 07:45 am
If your tree hasn't come in contact with pesticides and is clear of bugs maybe.
Probably better to buy them already clear though. Avoid products made in China!

piggies11
07-11-13, 09:16 am
Can I put an Abyssian and an American together?

piggies11
07-11-13, 01:23 pm
Alright, now I have succesfuly installed a 2x1 loft! We just got another box of grids so I am going to make an L shaped loft (3 grids big). We got the cutest fleece and I was wondering what the preparation instructions were?

lunarminx
07-11-13, 01:32 pm
Can I put an Abyssian and an American together?

As long as they are the same sex.

lunarminx
07-11-13, 01:33 pm
Alright, now I have succesfuly installed a 2x1 loft! We just got another box of grids so I am going to make an L shaped loft (3 grids big). We got the cutest fleece and I was wondering what the preparation instructions were?
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

piggies11
07-11-13, 02:59 pm
The cage is finished, with the full loft and a cover over the lower part.Now just waiting for the clothes that agree in the washer to be done so I can put in the fleece!

piggies11
07-11-13, 05:16 pm
What can I do with all my extra grids?

filchikmcr
07-11-13, 05:20 pm
You can use them to make a play pen for your pigs if you have enough. It's good for floor time or also to keep them in while you clean your cage. You can also bend a grid to make a hay rack, or a tunnel. You can connect a grid to one of the corners and use it to hang fleece over it to make a corner hidey!

piggies11
07-11-13, 05:26 pm
I love the ideas! I already made a hayrack but I just made a tunnel! I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a fleece forward?

piggies11
07-11-13, 05:47 pm
I meant forest, not forward. Auto correct hates me!

piggies11
07-11-13, 09:26 pm
Fleece forest is complete, and the fleece for flooring is all cut out and ready to go. Not putting it in until the morning though because a couple members of my family are sleeping right now so it'd be best not to disturb them. Would anyone like pigtures of Gloria and her cage (once I get the fleece in)?

piggies11
07-12-13, 01:46 pm
Fleece is now installed, I'm pretty sure she loves it! Now I just need to get her a gal pal!

Little One
07-12-13, 02:39 pm
I love all the progress you've made here! Keep up the great work! And yes we always want to see pigtures :)

piggies11
07-12-13, 08:53 pm
Thanks! Right now she's snuggled with me. Tomorrow we're going to a place where they will for sure tell us the gender. She looks like a female but I want to be absolutely sure before I get her a friend. I think I am also going to adopt from the same place also so hopefully by tomorrow night she shouldn't be alone anymore! Pictures will come soon!

piggies11
07-12-13, 08:58 pm
52069Here's Gloria! This was taken last week and I don't have any of her in her new cage yet, I'll take one when she's done snuggling.

piggies11
07-13-13, 04:02 pm
Got the new friend for Gloria, she's an abyssian with almost the same coloring. her name is Miss Marsha Kay Robertson. Her and Gloria get along very well and I think they will be good friends. The new girl is really small- I'm guessing she's 1-2 months. Earlier she slipped through the grid but I was there when she did it so she's OK, I've now doubled the grids to hopefully prevent that from happening again. Pigtures will be up later!

piggies11
07-13-13, 07:54 pm
The new girl is adjusting well, I think Gloria feels like her mother. She looks like she is cause they are almost identical. I haven't given her floor time yet, only because she is still new to me and she is very fast. Probably wills be a couple days until I'll give her floor time.

We got Gloria sexed earlier, she is definitely female.

piggies11
07-13-13, 08:07 pm
52134Here's the new baby!

piggies11
07-14-13, 11:53 pm
Gloria is really starting to warm up to me, so I'm happy for that. Her and Miss Kay got into a little fight last night when Miss Kay went into the pigloo that Gloria was in. Miss Kay is still a little nervous around me but it takes time. I was just wondering though, there's one spot on her body that when I pet her she makes a low rumbling sound. Is this bad or good? And also, she has calcium deposits in her urine. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to switch to KMS pellets. Should I get alfalfa pellets PR timothy pellets, since she's a baby? Is there anything else I need to do since she's a baby?