Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Baby having difficulties breathing

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Background info -

A month ago a woman in my area was looking to surrender a pregnant sow to a new home, she was about a year old and the woman was giving her up because they didn't have enough room. I went and picked her up and it turned out that the girl (now called Fluff) had been bred back to back four times previously because they just let all of their guinea pigs run around in their back yard. Long story short the boy they believe got her pregnant was also probably her father (they really had no idea).

At her previous home Fluff was not supplied with any form of water (they thought the dew off of the grass would be enough, and they would "squirt" it down in hot days in summer - I'm from Australia). She also ate leaves off of peach trees and any twigs that fell off, and who know what weeds, the only vegetable she was regularly supplied with was celery with the strings still in. She was not fed any hay and only occasionally given rabbit pellets (the bad kind with sunflower seeds in it). Needless to say I was quite shocked that any of the guinea pigs had lived for over a year (I gave them a bunch of information to better educate them in the care of guinea pigs).

Problem -

Three days ago I witnessed Fluff give birth to two beautiful boys (weighing 110g and 120g), the bigger one was a teddy like she is. The little teddy boy's breathing has been deteriorating over the past two days, it started off with him breathing noticeably heavier and has now gotten to the point where with every breath he clicks which I can hear from halfway across the room. He is more active than his brother however I am very concerned that he may have an issue with his lungs. Is there anything I can do to help him?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I consider this a medical problem not anything to do with pregnancy)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
it sounds like nothing you can do except bring him to a vet to get him checked out, i feel it's necessary since it sounds rather serious and especially if he's deteriorating.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vet, asap. Babies don't have much reserve to fight off infections, so if the illness causes him to lose weight, it may be a lost cause. And he needs to go quickly, because they don't give babies the most effective antibiotic to fight respiratory infections because it stunts their growth, although they may do so in a dire case. But if they don't, he needs all the time possible for the second-best AB to work.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Definitely needs a vet as soon as possible! Prayers for this little pig!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Update -

When I got up this morning his click was not as noticeable. I still took him into the vets anyway, and after an emanation the vet felt it necessary to call in her colleague who is more experienced in the respiratory system as she did not think it was an infection but did not want to perform invasive tests due to his age (4 days old).

After her colleague came in he agreed it was not an infection, but rather suspected a deformity in the nasal passages. He felt that at the current point in time anything he could do to correct this would put the babies life at a greater risk than he was comfortable with. I have made an appointment for in 2 weeks where they will perform test to confirm the defect and possibly see if correcting it is possible in the future.

Luckily the vets both agree this is not an *immediately* life threatening condition as he is gaining weight (now 145g) and seems otherwise healthy and active. He did give me his personal number encase the babies condition changes or I have any concerns.

(I should note he was breathing oddly from the moment he was born and only seems to "click" when he is running after mum, attempting to talk or if he is distressed because of me picking him up - which I only do to weigh him)

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Awe poor little pig! At least it's not immediately life threatening. Hopefully you can pack some weight on him and he can get big and strong so the vet can fix his little nose. Or that he won't need the help and will be fine on his own!

Thank you for keeping us updated @Soecara!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Does the baby have a flattened face, almost like Pekingnese? My vet said that some guinea pigs with flatter faces have shorter nasal passages and will often have odd breathing sounds like dogs with shortened faces do.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Here are some photos (taken outside of their cage because they wouldn't sit still long enough) There is a photo of the boy with the breathing difficulties, one with him and his brother and finally one of the proud mama with both babies.

IMG_2899.jpgIMG_2900.jpgIMG_2903.jpg

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Awww...they are adorable! Wishing the little guy the best!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, this little boy who I had named Timmy unfortunately passed away this morning.

A week ago he started gasping for air through his mouth so I took him to the vets and he was put on Bactrim and seemed to be improving slightly. That was until this morning, when I went in to check on him he was on his side barely breathing (I thought he was dead until he let out a horrible shriek), experiencing very violently spasms and he was almost stone cold. I cuddled him to try and warm him up while I prepped to take him to the vets but he died while I was on the phone to them.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Im sorry. At least he doesn't have to suffer anymore. RIP Timmy :( Keep us updated on how Momma is too! I hope for the best for his brother and mommy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.