Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Upper Levels/ramps without coroplast?

• Thread starter Coughingcolours
  • Start date

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I've been entertaining the idea of making my girls another level, but we haven't gotten coroplast yet, so I'm trying to figure out something that might work.

Has anyone done this without coroplast?
Does anyone have any ideas?

Please and thank you!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I've seen small upper levels done with cat litter boxes or other low plastic containers. You could also make your own pillow case sleeve/fleece flipper type thing and wrap the stiff part of the insert in something waterproof that they can't to and then cover it with absorbent material and stuff that in to the fleece case.

lissie

Cavy Slave
@Coughingcolours You can put thick layers of towels under the fleece to make sure your pigs won't feel the grids under their feet. You would have to wipe the grids down when you clean the cage.

@spy9doc Chester is adorable! I have the same shot of Cookie laying like that.
(broken link removed)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you used for it.

nd thanks for the idea about a plastic container, I might be able to do something like that.

If just a flipper in there and for the bridge I cut strips of coroplast and covered them with uhaul pads and fleece. The fliiper is coroplst and uhaul and fleece but its not sewn, its taped with painters blue tape.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Before we made our C&C cage, we had a small pet store cage and created a ramp and a loft in it for extra room.

Both the ramp and loft were fashioned out of two pieces of wood.....one cut to the width of the cage, and another for a ramp. They both were covered with stair tread material, and the loft base was zip-tied to the cage, and the ramp to the loft. The tread material was affixed to the wood by heavy duty staples. It probably took all of 30 minutes for my husband to make them.

This is a great idea! What type of wood would be best to get? I know one cedar or pine. But I would probably have to to buy something. Sodom you think that would be the cheapest option? I have grids that I can use to hold up the second level, I just have to figure out some type of floor.

@lissie I could try that.. I know it probably would be fine, I guess I'm just not super comfortable with them not having a more sturdy floor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.