PDA

View Full Version : Sick I think my guinea pig is sick, please help!

mochapokax3
07-08-13, 11:19 pm
Hi, so today I noticed that my Guinea pig Brownie is shaking a lot and I took a look closer, he seem to have crusty eyes and very waterly eyes so I cleaned him up. He usually runs away when I come near and today he just stayed there, even when I pick him up. My other guinea pig keep on sexually abusing brownie so I have to separate them into two cages. Sometimes my other one would hump brownies face and so I thought the stuff around his eyes were boar glue since it is clear and white but then im not sure, it would of been crusty eyes. His ate some fresh veggies and some food but not a lot. Since then his been laying in his igloo hideway and making these noises. I dont know what the noise is called but im sure its not squeeking. it just sounds like he is breathing really hard. I'm really worried about him and i'm gunna take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. For now, if anyone have experience with these symptoms, please let me know whats wrong with him. Is he sick?

Sunny
07-08-13, 11:21 pm
Yes, he is sick.

He needs to go to a vet ASAP. For him to be so lethargic he is possibly quite far along in his illness, probably a URI. I am dealing with one right now myself.

That "sexual abuse" sounds like normal dominance behavior. Pigs will hump each other (sideways, on their heads, everywhere) to assert who is "top pig." Nothing to be alarmed about as long as there is no actual fighting.

ETA: Very sorry your fuzzy isn't feeling well. I hope your vet trip is successful and your pig gets the care he needs. Best of luck.

mochapokax3
07-08-13, 11:28 pm
Yes, he is sick.

He needs to go to a vet ASAP. For him to be so lethargic he is probably very far along in his illness, probably a URI. I am dealing with one right now myself.

That "sexual abuse" sounds like normal dominance behavior. Pigs will hump each other (sideways, on their heads, everywhere) to assert who is "top pig." Nothing to be alarmed about as long as there is no actual fighting.

ETA: Very sorry your fuzzy isn't feeling well. I hope your vet trip is successful and your pig gets the care he needs. Best of luck.

Does URI possibly lead to death? and I'm sorry to hear that your piggie is going through this too but do you know what is the cause of this illness? Since this is the first time one of my guinea pig is sick, I would like to know how are you dealing with this right now?

Sunny
07-08-13, 11:32 pm
I am not an expert in URIs by any means. All I know is what I have learned in my own personal experience.

But, from my knowledge, a guinea pig is unlikely to survive a URI without medical intervention.

URIs are common with petstore pigs, which is why I am dealing with it, unfortunately. There are specific causes, but I'm not well-versed in the subject and I don't want to give false information. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

I took my pig, Rosie, to the vet as soon as I suspected a URI. The vet put her on an antibiotic and, three days later, she is feeling much better.

bpatters
07-09-13, 07:49 am
Just like in humans, URIs in guinea pigs are caused by bacteria, viruses and fungi. While there's not much that can be done for one that's caused by a virus, there's no way to tell the difference between a bacterial and a viral infection without a culture, and treatment needs to be started sooner than they can get culture results back.

The sad answer is that yes, your pig can die from a URI. If you can get him to a vet before then, they'll give him antibiotics, which may make him lose his appetite. In that case you'll have to force-feed him -- see http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for help on how to do it. He won't like it, but you'll have to do it anyway or you'll definitely lose him.

The humping issue is just dominance, and you should let them be. That said, how large is your cage? Cage size makes a difference with boars and how well they get along.

guinealover701
07-09-13, 08:26 am
Yes, She is sick. I saw someone answered your question, But I just wanted to say GET BETTER PIGGIE!