PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Guinea Pig Cage Advice (pic)

frogg0724
07-07-13, 06:42 am
Hey everyone hope everybody had a great 4th of July. I have two young piggies and a limited amount of space. I purchased the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat. I hope its ok. I set up a kitchen area with hay and veggie balls and water bottle. In the living area I have a pigloo, a tunnel with 4 holes and a fleece forest. I would be thankfull for any helpful advice. Oh the living area has coroplast two layers of Uhaul fabric and then fleece, the kitchen is Carefresh ultra. I am sorry for the dark photos but flash wouldnt work. And lack of piggie pics ( they were being very shy today)

frogg0724
07-07-13, 06:42 am
We did the kitchen divider at first, like you, with our Midwest cage. We soon realized our two male brothers didn't like it & it took up too much room. We ended up modifying our MW cage to what it is now (was a lot of planning & work. They are much happier and less dominant with each other now that they each can have their own space. They get more exercise in it, too.

NICE!!! I might have to try that. Thanks

frogg0724
07-07-13, 08:55 am
They're wisely hiding from the camera because don't you know that the evil black box steals guinea pig souls? At least that's what my girls think!

Definitely fine for two girls, although bigger is always better. Looks like they have a pretty sweet life in there.

Too funny!!!! Thanks

SqueakyPig
07-07-13, 12:44 pm
The cage looks great! I love the fleece and toys.

frogg0724
07-07-13, 01:13 pm
Here is a picture with the flash. Is this a good enough cage for two GPs?

agirlwithink
07-07-13, 04:13 pm
Do you have male of female piggies?
It looks small if you have boys!

piggielover200
07-07-13, 04:26 pm
It meets the minimum for two pigs. so yes its fine, but if you do have boys and they argue I would consider expanding

CavyMama
07-07-13, 04:28 pm
It meets the minimum for two pigs. so yes its fine

The minimum for 2 pigs is based on females. You have to go one size up for males.

piggielover200
07-07-13, 04:35 pm
I have heard of many people keeping two boars in the minimum and them being fine, although I only have a single male and two females in separate cages so I personally wouldn't know. CavyMama Ive just heard it depends on the pig but if that's not so thank you for the info

frogg0724
07-07-13, 05:17 pm
I have two females that are under 6 months old. My plan is to expand to a 2x5 next year when my daughter grows out of some of her bigger toys and then we will have room. Thanks for the advice.

mufasa
07-07-13, 05:29 pm
They're wisely hiding from the camera because don't you know that the evil black box steals guinea pig souls? At least that's what my girls think!

Definitely fine for two girls, although bigger is always better. Looks like they have a pretty sweet life in there.

Mellisenda
07-07-13, 06:37 pm
We did the kitchen divider at first, like you, with our Midwest cage. We soon realized our two male brothers didn't like it & it took up too much room. We ended up modifying our MW cage to what it is now (was a lot of planning & work. They are much happier and less dominant with each other now that they each can have their own space. They get more exercise in it, too.

kangy
08-10-13, 08:57 am
Where did you get that wire hay bin, I was looking for something exactly like that. I ended up getting a plastic drawer organizer from Walmart and make shifting one that I'm happy with but would replace it with that wire one

frogg0724
08-10-13, 10:02 am
Where did you get that wire hay bin, I was looking for something exactly like that. I ended up getting a plastic drawer organizer from Walmart and make shifting one that I'm happy with but would replace it with that wire one

I actually got that at Home Depot for $4. They are in the closet organizer section. They work great. Since I posted this I have expanded both our herd and cage. We now have 3 piggies and a 2x5 c&c cage. I will post pictures soon.

frogg0724
08-10-13, 10:07 am