Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications "All Natural" Flea Control - Opinions?

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Hello. My local feed store had a container of "Flea Free" and my grandmother purchased it for our two dogs. I'd like to know your thoughts on the safety and effectiveness of the product. My Guinea Pigs are not infested, however I'd love to use this instead for them as well instead of the expensive Revolution/Advantage.

It's in a 16oz liquid container and is supposed to be given Orally.
Ingredients on back:
Vinegar 28%
Garlic 3%
Citrus 2%
Herbs 2%
Inert Ingredients 65% (??)

Website continues:
https://fleafreeanimals.com/
- 100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS
- VITAMIN FORTIFIED
- SAFE FOR ALL PETS YOUNG AND OLD
- STOPS FLEAS & TICKS
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
- NO ARTIFICIAL COLOR OR PRESERVATIVES
- NO WHEAT, EGG, DAIRY, SOY OR FILLERS

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
What makes some flea control bad for exotics isn't always the active ingredients but instead the inactive ones. I personally wouldn't use it.

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
Buyer beware, not only are there potentially dangerous ingredients in the "all natural" flea control products, but they are completely ineffective. Remember, also, that you have to deflea the environment (ie: the house), as 90% of fleas live in the environment, not on the pets. Good luck, and keep checking the piggies frequently for fleas. Even if they have no direct contact with the dogs, fleas can move under doors or hitch a ride on your clothing into the pig's space.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Inert ingredients are those that are not considered "effective" and can include just about anything. I don't see anything in that list of active ingredients that would kill fleas honestly, I could be wrong though. Without knowing what else is in it, I wouldn't trust it. Flea control can be expensive, but if you treat your house to prevent infestations it helps a lot. I used Raid Bug Barrier while in Alabama (fleas are HORRIBLE down there) around my house, door frames, window frames and it kept out fleas and bugs. I also treated my dogs with Comfortis, which lasted up to a month and a half per dose.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Garlic is poisonous to guinea pigs. I think spending a little extra money for something safe and effective is better than saving a few bucks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
100% natural ingredients does NOT mean 100% safe ingredients. There are plenty of natural things out there that will kill you. The active and inert ingredients in any compound, whether natural or unnatural, are just chemicals. With a reputable compound that you buy, you're getting something that's been tested, and whose dosage is pretty close to what they advertise it to be. With natural compounds, there's no testing, no quality control, and absolutely no guarantee that the active ingredient is even present.

Several years ago, there was a big push on using tryptophan to treat depression. It's a naturally occurring amino acid in a lot of foods. But when someone finanally analyzed the pills that were sold, some of them had just traces of tryptophan, while others had many hundreds of times more trytophan than the stated dosage.

My thinking is that it's fine to use a natural compound for a lot of things -- aloe for burns, for just one example. There are many others. But if you're depending on a measured amount of something to treat an illness or a problem, you're better off with buying from a reputable, dependable company.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I do buy medications myself for my Guinea Pigs. I wasn't the one that bought the "All Natural" flea control. I'll tell her to return it, it was the inert ingredients I was worried about. The dogs are not my responsibility but I don't want them harmed. Thanks.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
For the dogs you could use essential oils, lemon eucalyptus oil and peppermint mix 30 drops each to1 cup of water(shake really well) or alcohol as a carrier(shake really well). You can use it on yourself too. Apply daily.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I use (broken link removed) for my dogs in the summer months and a garlic/brewer's yeast tab in addition to an apple cider vinegar tab and food grade diatomaceous earth given orally year round. I've never had a problem with fleas and it's all totally natural. The diatomaceous earth is safe for guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.