Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast only cage

• Thread starter precious_piggie
  • Start date

precious_piggie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone here's my questions.

1. If I were to build a cage just from coroplast how tall should the walls be?
  2. How thick should the coroplast be?
  3. Which kind of tape should I use to keep it together.
I don't want my piggies (do not have them yet) to jump out or break the cage.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, you shouldn't build a fully coroplast cage because it would block airflow to your piggies!

pinky

Cavy Slave
The sides would probably be wobbly since grids hold the coroplast in place. Aside from poor airflow, it would also block their view out of the cage.

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
I have a full coroplast cage. Ive never really thought about the airflow thing but my pigs seem fine with the full coro. I have 4 mm thick coro with 10.5' walls. If youre building a 2x6 or something long itd be best to have cubes on the side because with 4 mm coro it kind of bends! so if youre looking to build a big cage make sure to get thicker coro.

3PiggiesGMC

Cavy Slave
I have a coroplast only cage for right now (planning on getting the grids eventually!). The cage I made for my girl is 10 inches high, and she can jump into it from outside of her cage, but has never tried to escape. She would much rather be in her cage or cuddling with someone than on the floor outside of her cage... The cage I made for her 2 sons is a full 12 inches high. One morning though, we woke up to find both boys in Mama's cage! So they had jumped out of their 12 inch cage, walked across the living room, and jumped into Mama's cage. Yikes!! Now Mama's cage is up on a table so the boys don't even try to escape anymore since they know they can't get into her cage.... Question- how tall are the grids? If my boys can jump over 12 inch walls, will they be safe enough?? I really don't want to have to put a cover on the cages, but I want them to be safe. And no more babies!!! ;)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a coroplast only cage for right now (planning on getting the grids eventually!). The cage I made for my girl is 10 inches high, and she can jump into it from outside of her cage, but has never tried to escape. She would much rather be in her cage or cuddling with someone than on the floor outside of her cage... The cage I made for her 2 sons is a full 12 inches high. One morning though, we woke up to find both boys in Mama's cage! So they had jumped out of their 12 inch cage, walked across the living room, and jumped into Mama's cage. Yikes!! Now Mama's cage is up on a table so the boys don't even try to escape anymore since they know they can't get into her cage.... Question- how tall are the grids? If my boys can jump over 12 inch walls, will they be safe enough?? I really don't want to have to put a cover on the cages, but I want them to be safe. And no more babies!!! ;)

Some guinea pigs are very determined to get out. I had a female that could scale up the sides of the cage. I think I'd put a lid on that cage if you have females nearby. I wouldn't have really tall coroplast sides, though. I have one that nibbles at the coroplast so I made his cage with 10" sides. In my opinion, it isolated him and his cage mate from the exterior too much. I cut it down. I've built a lot of cages and the tallest sides that seemed to be acceptable were about 7.5 to 8", in my opinion. I'm sure if the cage is larger than a 2x4, taller sides might not seem so high. I think the 5" sides are the norm because it allows the leftover piece to be used to make a loft so it's not as much about what's best for the guinea pigs but more about the best use of the coroplast.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@3PiggiesGMC grids are 14inx14in! You can always buy/build a cage topper though if you have jumpy pigs!

3PiggiesGMC

Cavy Slave
Ah, 14 inches. That might work! :) Can't wait to get the grids! I've seen some really cool cages here to use as inspiration!

pinky

Cavy Slave
There are a lot of great ideas for lids if you go to the photos section. You can make them out of grids or closet shelving. Check Goodwill, craigslist and Freecycle for deals on grids before buying. If you buy from a store, price around because the cost varies.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I just built my C&C yesterday, it took a little work but it looks fantastic and I can't wait to get the pigs to put in it! The grids were 19.99 at KMart and I bought 3 boxes so I could make a 2x5 and a double tall stand. I'm also making a small playpen for them for floor time, and maybe a loft!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.