PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea Diarrhea..Help??

photosavvy
07-02-13, 03:25 pm
So my sisters guinea pig has diarrhea, how does a guinea pig get diarrhea and what do you do to fix it?

photosavvy
07-02-13, 03:39 pm
she's been seperated from her cage-mate peppers. Yuki is the one with diarrhea, her poo is watery. she is eating though. She's had bell pepper yesterday and the day before. she's still active.

bpatters
07-02-13, 03:43 pm
They can get it from a bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infection, from a lack of good bacteria in the gut (as in when they're taking antibiotics), from a food that doesn't agree with them, or from electrolyte imbalances in the gut, among other things.

If you're talking about real diarrhea (very runny, very loose stools) and not just about soft poop, you probably will need a vet visit.

The first thing to do is to take the pig off all vegetables and fruit -- nothing to eat except hay and water. If that doesn't start to improve things within just a few hours, then go to the vet. Take a sample of the poop if you can, a picture if you can't.

If removing veggies and fruit takes care of the problem, then wait until the poop is firm and formed again. Add vegetables back one at a time, waiting 2-3 days between each one, until you see if you can determine if it was something the pig ate. If one of the foods gives the pig diarrhea, or even just soft poop, again, then leave that food out of the diet altogether. If you add them all back without any problem, then your pig has just had a random episode, and it may never occur again.

photosavvy
07-02-13, 03:55 pm
They can get it from a bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infection, from a lack of good bacteria in the gut (as in when they're taking antibiotics), from a food that doesn't agree with them, or from electrolyte imbalances in the gut, among other things.

If you're talking about real diarrhea (very runny, very loose stools) and not just about soft poop, you probably will need a vet visit.

The first thing to do is to take the pig off all vegetables and fruit -- nothing to eat except hay and water. If that doesn't start to improve things within just a few hours, then go to the vet. Take a sample of the poop if you can, a picture if you can't.

If removing veggies and fruit takes care of the problem, then wait until the poop is firm and formed again. Add vegetables back one at a time, waiting 2-3 days between each one, until you see if you can determine if it was something the pig ate. If one of the foods gives the pig diarrhea, or even just soft poop, again, then leave that food out of the diet altogether. If you add them all back without any problem, then your pig has just had a random episode, and it may never occur again.

I've seen soft poop from her and she's walked through it so its smeared and all that. I'm giving her hay and water and throwing out the fleece that was in the cage and sanitizing everything (with a piggy safe solution) and I've given her cage mate a bath also.