Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storing Hay

widallas

Cavy Slave
I just got an order of 35 lbs of hay from KM -- good grief, but that's a lot of hay.... I looked over the forums re:storing hay, but have some concerns.

1. I put the hay back in the box it came in, but of course it expanded so it's now in two cardboard boxes. I've left the tops loose and poked some holes in the side. Anything else I have to do for basement storage? They're close to the dehumidifier. And, do I have do be concerned with any pests or insects getting into the hay?

2. Got some pellets as well, and am storing them in a small rubbermaid bin. The lids closes, but it's not airtight. Is that o.k.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Your best bet is to keep them in the cardboard. However, if you have rodents, its very likely they can get into the hay. You can cut holes and cover them with screen mesh, or place the bottom of the cardboard box in a big plastic tub so that no mice can get in.

Best thing to do for the pellets is take out about 2lbs at a time. The rest can go in freezer bags and be stored in the freezer. This insures they will be fresh and still contain their vitamin C.

widallas

Cavy Slave
As always, thanks Slap for the info!

slap_maxwell said:
Your best bet is to keep them in the cardboard. However, if you have rodents, its very likely they can get into the hay. You can cut holes and cover them with screen mesh, or place the bottom of the cardboard box in a big plastic tub so that no mice can get in.

Best thing to do for the pellets is take out about 2lbs at a time. The rest can go in freezer bags and be stored in the freezer. This insures they will be fresh and still contain their vitamin C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.