Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Charlie -Chronic soft droppings

emilym

Cavy Slave
(This is a repost from Guinea Lynx, since I’m at the one year mark of trying to fix this I’m hoping to get as many perspective as possible.)

Name: Charlie
Sex: neutered male
Breed: Silkie mix, Dalmatian
Average weight: ~1300 grams

Medical history relevant to digestive issues (since he came to live here June 2012):
• Neuter; July 6, 2012
• Metronidazole susp 50 mg/ml; July 13, 2012
• Intestinal parasites with giardiasis ELIS; July 13; Result: Negative

Charlie has had chronic loose droppings the entire time I’ve had him. His previous owner said she noticed them as well but assumed they were normal for him. In both homes, neither of his cage mates have had digestive problems. Since I’ve had Charlie, he has been healthy in every other way. His appetite is great, he has tons of energy, and his weight is perfectly consistent.

I’ve tried several things (and two exotic vets) in the past year:

• Tests for parasites (administered by vet #1)
  • Feeding him only hay for two weeks and slowly bringing back hay/veggies
  • Probiotics (Acidophilus capsules -generic CVS brand; Kyo-Dophilus Probiotics Plus Enzymes)
  • Oxbow digestive support tabs
  • Different pellets (Oxbow to KMS)
  • Different hays (timothy 2nd and 3rd cut; bluegrass)
  • Vitamin C (0.35 ml) daily (recommended by vet #2)

Between four guinea pigs, their daily diet is:

• Unlimited grass hay
  • ½ cup KMS pellets
  • 4 cups of vegetables
    • 2 cup red/green leaf lettuce
    • 1 green bell pepper
    • remaining portion is an additional vegetable that gets rotated in (ex: tomato, baby carrot, corn husks/silk, celery, green beans, cucumber, a few sprigs of cilantro/parsley, grass, and occasionally spinach or kale)

Based on the suggestions I got from GL, I am currently trying Bene-bac Small Animal Powder. I’ve also ordered Small Animal Bio-Sponge and will try that if Bene-Bac hasn’t worked.

Charlie -Chronic soft droppingsCharlie -Chronic soft droppingsCharlie -Chronic soft droppingsCharlie -Chronic soft droppings

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Those actually don't look overly loose to me. They are not fully formed, but not loose (first one being the exception). If you've tried probiotics, and he doesn't have an intestinal parasite, I don't know what else it could be. I also don't know what to suggest as far as pellets since you'd already switched, and that was going to be my suggestion lol

emilym

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'm stumped as well. They're similar in consistency to peanut butter or pudding and get smeared all over everything (and everyone).

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'm going out on a limb to say that maybe he has a food sensitivity? Like to a veggie you're giving him? I know that I had a dog that way, so it is something to ask the vet about maybe

emilym

Cavy Slave
I've thought of that and it's definitely a possibility. My first move was to withhold all veggies and feed only hay and pellets (I tried to also get him to take a vitamin C tablet but he wasn't having it). I stopped after two weeks, not because I saw any change but I was afraid to keep him off veggies any longer. I kept a food journal as I slowly reintroduced veggies but I didn't find a connection.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm. I don't know then! Maybe that's just how he is lol. I have one that poops normal looking pellets, the others are elongated lol. I can tell which poops are from which piggy

emilym

Cavy Slave
Charlie -Chronic soft droppings
I do think normally he would have larger poos compared to the other pigs. This is a photo of one of his "normal" poops next to another pig's poop. Even when his are close to normal looking they always have this little "Hershey's kiss" end to them. Sometimes I wonder if there's a pig version of IBS or some other chronic condition.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
View attachment 51294
I do think normally he would have larger poos compared to the other pigs. This is a photo of one of his "normal" poops next to another pig's poop. Even when his are close to normal looking they always have this little "Hershey's kiss" end to them. Sometimes I wonder if there's a pig version of IBS or some other chronic condition.

LOL this is EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.