Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Most probably an URI :(

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am devastated to say my piggy Lola seems to be getting a URI :(

When I got her out for lap time I could hear a crackling in her breathing. It is not constant but it's very frequent. She wasn't crackling yesterday. She is with Piggy Boy Bradley and they've only been together for a week so I felt sad to have to separate them but URIs are highly contagious right?

She is now in a separate cage, in a separate room and first thing tomorrow I'll call the vet to take her in.

Please wish me and Lola luck!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
They are highly contagious, and it may be that your other boy is already sick but still in the incubation period (I believe this is 2-3 weeks). Or, your other pig may have given it to Lola but is not showing symptoms yet? It is a good thing to seperate them, just in case your other boy doesn't get sick though. Just remember to wash your hands and everything when touching the two pigs so you don't end up getting the healthy pig sick too. :( I'm sorry to hear this

Lil Pig

Cavy Slave
Do NOT mess with URI's. We've lost 2 piggies - almost 3 in 2 months. They don't have hours . . . they have minutes. Good luck to you and your babies.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Thanks both!

I separated them last night as soon as I noticed. I just woke up now (7am here in UK) and will be getting ready to drive to vets at 9am.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Piggy Boy.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Sorry for double post but have a question:

How long is it recommended to keeping them separated? I'm keeping positive that a course of the right antibiotics will help. I just gave her veggies and she's eating them as normal so really hoping I caught it as soon as one possibly can.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I honestly wouldn't separate them. He's already been with her long enough to catch whatever she has. What antibiotic is she on?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.